Fox entry attempt/fail— pale comb

LauraKchickentender

In the Brooder
Oct 15, 2020
There was a fox attempting to get into our chicken run this AM. (S)he was unsuccessful, but some birds have blood on their beaks.
Although acting normally, I’m concerned about one bird. Her comb and face appear pale to me. Could this be from stress? Internal bleeding? Again, the fox did not get in, the birds just freaked out inside the run.

Have you proofed your run to keep the predator from getting back in? I can help you do that if you like. Add some electrolytes to there water. If you don't have poultry electrolytes, then you can add normal sugar as well. Glad no one was injured!

I believe the run is predator proof, but that fox keeps visiting and it’s unnerving. It scares the chickens and they sometimes hurt themselves.

I believe the run is predator proof, but that fox keeps visiting and it’s unnerving. It scares the chickens and they sometimes hurt themselves.
CAN you get ahold of some electric poultry netting? Or electric horse wire works to. Set it up, get it hot. Bait it withe peanut butter around the wire, or bacon. When the predator goes to lick or sniff the wire, they will get a surprise.

I have electric wires around my coops and pens. The predators will learn that a chicken is not worth getting zapped for. I actually think the adults teach their young. I have been seeing a fox around my chick/grow-out coop and pens. I changed out the fence charger today because my old one finally died. It wasn't working well so I replaced it. Let the fox come now. If it touches the wires it won't be back. They know the electric wires are there. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom