Fox got duck, neck issue

tlmenza

Hatching
Jan 2, 2022
Last night a fox got my female buff duck. She can stand and limp but can’t lift her neck. I have to hold it up for her. She will drink if I put her bill in water but won’t eat. I’ve treated the puncture wounds from the bite but I don’t know what to do about her neck. Will she recover or should I just cull her? I read somewhere this could be a muscle issue and that persons duck survived by tube feeding. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Puncture wounds need to be treated with an oral antibiotic since no amount of wound cleansing will remove bacteria pushed deep into the tissues by the bite. Do you have any on hand? If so, what and what strength?

Treat for shock with warm Gatoraid or electrolytes in her water. Effects of shock can accumulate, sicken and then kill. So, treat now.

Treatment for shock may help her limp neck, but you can give her some vitamin E and B-complex to help repair any damaged nerve connections. Just pop the pills into her beak. Give her some cooked egg to eat for increased absorption.

Puncture wounds need to be treated with an oral antibiotic since no amount of wound cleansing will remove bacteria pushed deep into the tissues by the bite. Do you have any on hand? If so, what and what strength?

Treat for shock with warm Gatoraid or electrolytes in her water. Effects of shock can accumulate, sicken and then kill. So, treat now.

Treatment for shock may help her limp neck, but you can give her some vitamin E and B-complex to help repair any damaged nerve connections. Just pop the pills into her beak. Give her some cooked egg to eat for increased absorption.
Thank you. I have amoxicillin 500mg. I’ll need to go get the electrolytes and vitamins.

Great! The dose for poultry is 250mg per day. Break open the capsule, dump the powder onto a sheet of note paper, an d divide into two even piles. Take a bite-size piece of bread, dip in olive oil or other cooking oil and sop up one pile of the amoxy powder. Do this each day for ten days.

Great! The dose for poultry is 250mg per day. Break open the capsule, dump the powder onto a sheet of note paper, an d divide into two even piles. Take a bite-size piece of bread, dip in olive oil or other cooking oil and sop up one pile of the amoxy powder. Do this each day for ten days.
Ok thanks. Food isn’t going down well. She ends up bringing it back forward and it comes out. Any tricks?

Just means we put it in the back of her throat and she somehow shoves it forward and out of her bill.

Back
Top Bottom