Fox got my duck

Thank you. That’s exactly what’s weighing on my mind. I see both the adults hanging around on the waterfront. As I write this I’m thinking I might try feeding them as a solution. If I throw a hook in the water I catch a catfish right away. Maybe they would be happy with that. It’s not like feeding them is what’s going to encourage them to stay - they seem pretty settled in. Thoughts anyone?
If you don't want them there, don't feed them! Electric fence is your best bet. It will discourage foraging on your ducks, encouraging them to hunt farther afield. Who knows? Maybe they'll find easier pickings somewhere else and pull up stakes for a new place to call home!

Please don't blame yourself. Your predator situation has changed. Unless you intend to stay outside 24 hours a day watching the ducks, you cannot possibly control what happens to them. I love when domestic ducks show up on the river, which is now rare since fortunately Easter ducklings are no longer considered good gifts. Their presence adds diversity to the wild duck population, and the idea possibly mating with mallards would badly affect the mallard population is totally ludicrous. Believe me, the last standing duck on the face of the earth will be a purebred mallard.

There is only one pekin now on the river where I am at, and he can as readily and quickly fly as a mallard! I've never seen anything like it. He's not as big as some pekins, but he is much larger than a mallard, so his mother could not have possibly been a mallard. Until now, I've only seen pekins make flying leaps downward, and quickly move across water by flapping their wings. This drake easily flies upward and across the river with the mallards.

The only domestic duck breed I've seen that can successfully reproduce in the wild; readily fly, including distances; and obviously outsmart many predators is the Muscovy duck. But no one should get Muscovy ducks in a residential area! They can rapidly multiply, because those little females have some uncanny ability to make nests where predators can't get their eggs; and they can perch on decks, piers, railings, rooftops, etc. Many people hate them with an absolute passion, including because many think the drakes are so ugly.
Thank you 🙏🏻. I’m amazed about the river pekin you see. Impressive guy for sure! Just because they’re all white I think people fail to appreciate the beauty of the pekin.
I’m retired, so it’s no big deal for me to adjust my routine to counter predators. I’m working out the details of a daytime enclosure for them. And I’ll enjoy some quiet meditation or reading time down at the river for some swim time.
I’ll miss looking out the window and seeing they have made their own way down the pier, waiting for me to tuck them into their house, but that just means I’ll get to walk them down myself.

I’m so upset.😢 A fox got one of my ducks. We live on the Potomac and he ALMOST made it into the river. There’s a den of a mated pair and 3 Kits in the neighbor’s yard. I have been diligent when my ducks are out and about but clearly not diligent enough. I take these creatures lives into my hands and let them down. I want them to live like ducks, not caged up. I have to come up with a strategy. I’ll try to sleep on it. Advice welcome.
Feeding foxes won't help unless you feed it something better than fresh duck.

Back
Top Bottom