Fox Pie...? (Not tonight Mr/Mrs Fox...she is home! )

Suzie

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Auvergne
So Pie ( my pied Muscovy duck ) decided that she would play hard to get this evening ... she swam up river and settled on a tree branch which is sticking out of the water... some three hours later she is still there... it has been dark for just over three hours, rain is pouring down and dinner will be very late this evening ( well, it is almost 10.00 p.m. now).

I have tried every ploy I could think of to get her home safely... all to no avail! On one of my tempting searches I saw a fox not four feet away from her... it was hunting around the edge of the river and it knew she was there, it was trying to get to her... I would have shot the fox had I had a shotgun with me but I had nothing to deter it save for shouting **** off you b****ard (YES I can blaspheme when I need to....!!!) It disappeared but not for long...so we let the dogs out and they barked out loudly... I thought the fox would go but no... it has been hunting outside the chicken, duck and goose houses - luckily all are securely locked but i will have to set my alarm to wake me up before dawn tomorrow in the hope that Pie will not be a meal for the predator.

Wish her luck please!

Suzie

Last edited:
Thanks for your well wishes Scratch'n'peck..... it is just after midnight and she is still on her branch in the river....! Yet another sleepless night for me... if it were the Summer I would stay out all night without a problem but it is Winter and so wet and cold here.... hopefully she will stay safe until dawn.

Suzie

She is still sat on the branch in the river.... I am hopeful that she will get back into the water now that it is daylight, her flockmates are swimming around near her....stupid duck!

She may be petrified to move after the fox attempted to get to her, luckily with all of the rain the river water is flowing fast and the fox may have decided not to risk its own life by entering the water.

I can't access her as I do not fancy swimming out to where she is, it is cold and she would probably move off somewhere further away, at least I can see her from the house albeit that she is about an acre away.

Suzie
fl.gif

Let's hope she comes to her senses and gets back to the safety of the flock and shelter.

I know a man who had both a duck and a parrot. One day, he heard his parrot saying, "Stupid Duck!"

Keep us up to date on Pike's status. And we'll keepyou and she in our thoughts. A sick or lost animal sure will make for a poor nights sleep.

Well I went out with more feed to try and tempt her home... she immediately dived into the river and swam away from me....gggrrrhhh! I came indoors and had a coffee to wake me up... after the coffee I went outside to tend to animal needs - she was standing in the field nearby and as I advanced towards her she ran off again! I decided that it was fruitless to pursue her so I turned my back on her.

Some four hours later she was not far from the duck house. I walked across the field avoiding eye contact with her.. I swear her eyes were burning into my back... after a few minutes I managed to get nearer to her and got her into the safety of the yard....Phew...that was difficult! I took her inside and fed her, she was still glaring at me!

Now she may be confused.... Swimming With Foxes was not the film..... it was Dancing With Wolves... she needs some lessons in awareness of dangers around her... she was the duck that disappeared back in July and came home in late August with five ducklings....! Love her independent streak but she was lucky last night! I am sure this will not be the end of her exploits.... unless the fox gets to her eventually!

Thanks everyone for your words of comfort - I was so scared for her!

Amiga that did make me laugh! I can imagine the parrot coming out with that expression!

Suzie
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom