Fox Sightings should I worry

NateinFL

Crowing
13 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Wesley Chapel FL
Opinion please: A new development is being built right next to the area I live. Foxes can be seen hanging out there. I have all my pens inside of a 6ft secure privacy fence in my backyard. Will a fox hop a 6 ft fence to get to my pens. Are they good at breaking into pens? I have the bottoms secured so nothing can dig under but they might find a way through my door. Anyone here think foxes are a threat to my backyard flock? Should I worry? A simple answer will do. Nathan

Foxes routinely scale 6 foot fences with relative ease. A cover on your run would be a good idea. Good luck.

Fox will not jump a fence but will dig all the way down to "you know where." depending on the state you live in, it is nessecary to get a trapping license. I am not saying bend the law, but for the safety of your poultry, any nearby wild canine should find a trap. If you are interested in trapping them, i could walk you through it.

Zac S. Orig. 7 hatchery :

Fox will not jump a fence...

I beg to differ. I believe there's a photo somewhere on this site that says otherwise. I don't have time to look for it, now, but maybe later. Foxes won't jump the fence, they will simply climb it.
ETA- This link gives you the idea.

Last edited:
They are climbers and cagey too. They have all night to dig under that fence too, as does any coon or possum that comes along. Foxes are next to impossible to catch in a live trap. A leg trap can do it, but human scent must be obliterated all around the trap I would guess. Great place to dump a lot of chicken poop after trap is set, to cover the human scent.

Electrification is best bet via a hot wire on top of your fence. A complete coop lockdown is a must for safety every eve at dusk. You will want to patrol the yard too before letting them out. Fox or coon could be hiding out and grab one after you finish morning chores. Chooks won't know it is there.
hmm.png

If I let my 9 girls out to free range an hour or so before dusk....observed of course...would they be relatively safe? In other words, due prediators hunt during daylight hours?

Back
Top Bottom