Fox trap

Loulouzer

Chirping
Oct 9, 2020
So i have a partial closed in porch in my back yard and had a frizzle rooster in a cage to introduce to my other birds. An hour ago i was awakened to him screaming and ran outside. As soon as i opened the door, no time to physically react i watched a fox flawlessly open the cage despite my yelling no weapon near to grab. he took my rooster! I never thought a fox would come that close and still go for it. What is the easiest way to trap this fox? I do plan on killing it as i now know thats whats been attacking and taking my birds. Recommended bait and traps if you can? I never want to see that again and it worries me he didint care i was there. Thanks!

For foxes, I use a coil spring trap; simply dig a small indentation into the ground, set the trap, and place it in the hole and cover it slightly with dirt/leaves. You can use brush/logs/objects around the trap to guide the fox where you want it to place its feet.
The trap is connected to a metal pole inserted securely into the ground. To make matters more humane I attached a cowbell to the trap so I could hear the instant the fox was caught so I could euthanize it immediately.
For bait, I used eggs but also had good luck with raw chicken. In my experience, this has been effective at eradicating foxes.
https://www.murrayslures.com/coil-spring-traps-s/133.htm
If you have never trapped, this link provides some important information.
https://www.fishwildlife.org/application/files/7915/1977/4541/Student_manual_2005.pdf

So i have a partial closed in porch in my back yard and had a frizzle rooster in a cage to introduce to my other birds. An hour ago i was awakened to him screaming and ran outside. As soon as i opened the door, no time to physically react i watched a fox flawlessly open the cage despite my yelling no weapon near to grab. he took my rooster! I never thought a fox would come that close and still go for it. What is the easiest way to trap this fox? I do plan on killing it as i now know thats whats been attacking and taking my birds. Recommended bait and traps if you can? I never want to see that again and it worries me he didint care i was there. Thanks!
With my experience with foxes traps downt work beacuse they're so smart. To get rid of the fox we had we got up when the sun came up, waited for the fox to come, then We shot it.. I'm pretty sure @Mmanist uses foot traps.

I used some old chicken we had processed that found it's way to the bottom of our freezer. It had killed so I trapped it and eliminated it. It killed my most special bird during the middle of the day while I was distracted.
DSCF0010 03.jpg
DSCF0012 22.jpg

We are rural I have used foot/leg traps too for another fox that had killed some of my birds. I used a body of a bird it had killed when I ran it off but it came back and I put the traps around the bird's body. I don't use the foot/leg traps anymore due to some of the people in our area dividing up their land and selling off parcels so now we have cats and dogs running around so now I only use live traps. I have caught some cats mainly in the traps. The foxes I eliminated were mangy and stinky even though on my cameras they looked nice and fluffy. Good luck...
IMG_4004.JPG
IMAG0001 (10) 03.jpg

For foxes, I use a coil spring trap; simply dig a small indentation into the ground, set the trap, and place it in the hole and cover it slightly with dirt/leaves. You can use brush/logs/objects around the trap to guide the fox where you want it to place its feet.
The trap is connected to a metal pole inserted securely into the ground. To make matters more humane I attached a cowbell to the trap so I could hear the instant the fox was caught so I could euthanize it immediately.
For bait, I used eggs but also had good luck with raw chicken. In my experience, this has been effective at eradicating foxes.
https://www.murrayslures.com/coil-spring-traps-s/133.htm
If you have never trapped, this link provides some important information.
https://www.fishwildlife.org/application/files/7915/1977/4541/Student_manual_2005.pdf
Thanks so much! I'll read up on this.

Back
Top Bottom