^%$@#$$ FOX!

My Lab is 8 1/2 years old. But he runs all the time and is in great shape. 2 of the last three nights he has spotted the fox around 8:45 at night-when we go out to close the coop. Tonight he chased that sucka all the way across the property. I don't think he would know what to do if he caught it as he's a sweet animal, but he has that fox scared to the point it needs to change it's underwear. I'm just so proud of Max I just had to share!

Yup. I loaded the 12 Gg with #8 shot, and hopefully I wake up early.

Ummmmm.......shotgun being my weapon of choice, but #8 shot? That isn't going to kill it......but will make it suffer horribly. Assuming suffrage is unintended and not on purpose......better choice might be BB's or #4 buckshot if you mean to kill it, and if not that, leave the gun in the cabinet.

BTW, I have a resident fox myself......regular (nightly) visitor to a bait station I was running not more than 100 yards from the chicken house. No losses to the birds as fox can't get near them to do them harm......nor any other varmint for that matter.

Unless you have use for a dead fox, you can skip that part. If you have done your part, they should be no threat to the birds. But it is natural for them to try. For all they know, you are feeding them on purpose as I was doing with the bait station. If you make it easy for them, why not eat em all?

Myself, even though it hasn't gotten any of your birds I would trap it in a live trap and call some wildlife people to take it. I did that recently with an owl that had killed some of my birds.
Owl.jpg

I have my own fox issue. Not resorted to shooting yet, more prepared to trap with trapping site already made with trap in place. Fox comes in every night to check trapping site even when not baited. Shooting for me hard to do unless fox making regular / recent kills on my chickens. This one did last kills about a week ago allowing me to loose my blood lust.

I've got a fox that knows she ain't getting in. I've seen evidence of her attempted digging in. She now just strolls past the coop and run. Girls get a little spooked but not bad. She's getting a pass, for now. If she gets more aggressive and really shakes up the gals, I'll take her out.

Back
Top Bottom