Fox

StaceySwinkels

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
Had a fox get into my chickens the other day, killed one, and took the tail off another DNR is supposed to come set a live trap and get rid of it, but it's been 2 days and I haven't seen them yet. It was a big fox, half the size of my dog, if they don't come soon, I'm probably going to freak out. I haven't had to deal with foxes before, and my husband thinks I'm being paranoid, but my son likes to play outside with the dog, and I'm scared to let him out alone

She looks like half a chicken when she's walking around now, but at least she's alive

Last edited:
I am not trying to make too much about your problems but far too many government employees are more than willing to wait and let the problem resolve itself. Which it will likely do if Sir Renard is allowed to return again and again until he kills all your chickens. Then in too many government employee's mind the problem has resolved itself.

Keep after them and never take no or even perhaps for an answer.

Do you know how he got into your coop? Maybe you could work on securing it until the trap shows up. Another idea would be to offer to pick up the trap from the DNR and call them if you trap it.

He didn't actually get into our coop, we haven't had a problem before, and usually let the chickens out around the yard, the fox came about 5 feet from our deck after them. Then came back a few times and it stood at the tree line, taunting me after we scared it off. It didn't even care that we had the dog outside. We got the chickens in November, I'm still new to all of this, and my husband hasn't had them since he was a child, and we have been meaning to get a fence up, but with me working full time, two kids, and the snow, we haven't had the time to get it done yet. Hopefully my husband will have one by next week though.

If they don't come for it, I'm tempted to kill it myself, I don't want it to get anymore of my chickens, and I don't like worrying about my dog, and kids.

I've also offered to pick up a trap, and they told me they do not lend them out anymore because they had issues with them a few years back, but didn't really go into detail. The officer they assigned to it called me, and said he'd be out in the next few days, and apparently knows my father in law, so hopefully it will get resolved soon. If not, I have the numbers stored in my cell phone.

I wouldn't bother with them, I would shoot the fox if you have a gun and are able to use it, then the problem is solved for good. I wouldn't worry about your kids and dogs with a fox unless you have a very small dog and even then I wouldn't worry about it.

I do know how to use a gun, however I don't have one, it is still at my dads house, 3 hours away. My mom freaked out when I told her about it, and that I wanted to shoot it, and said it was illegal to shoot a fox, I haven't had much time to look into it though.

Are you sure I shouldn't be worried about my kids? 90% of the people who heard about the fox told me not to let my kids out, because they can be sneaky and it could be desperate enough to come after them. Mind you, hearing this and not knowing much about the animal set me into mom panic mode lol

We have a fox that crosses our yard every morning. he's never bothered our dogs or vice versa. I'm sure chickens will be another story so we are building our coop like fort knox. I'd rather not find out where it's weakness is the hard way, that's why I asked about how it got into your coop.

My neighbor who has chickens recommends not free ranging at all. She lost chickens to the fox during the day while she was outside with them. I still wouldn't shoot it. It's only doing what comes naturally....feeding itself. Besides, if you kill that one, there will only be another to replace it. I'd worry more about having a gun in the house with little kids. better to teach them how to nurture than kill.....IMHO.

I have never heard of a fox bothering kids, maybe if it were rabid which is a rare occurance. Fox go after rodents, squirrels, birds, etc., chickens are probably one of the biggest prey animals a fox tackles. If it were wolves then I'd worry about your dog and kids. As far as the last posters comments about fearing having a gun in the house with your kids, I couldn't disagree more but I am not about to start a pro gun anti gun debate on a chicken forum. People who advocate not killing predators who are trying to kill your animals and other such tree hugging/anti gun owner sentiment probably shouldn't be on the predators/pests forum or at the minimum should read the rules at the top of the forum. It is true if you kill that fox, another may come in it's place, so kill that one too. As far as it being illegal to kill the fox, I don't know about Canada laws but most places down here you can kill a livestock predator legally.

the biggest problem with fox coming close is when people meaning well feed the fox and they barely get domesticated when the fox goes up to someone who does not know to feed them they become aggressive , trying to catch one with a cage trap is a challange if it is a red fox , grey fox and B'kittys are easily trapped with cages

Back
Top Bottom