Foxes have me anxious

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
I was checking my chicken cameras before bed, like I always do, and saw this guy on the yard camera. I’ve never seen a fox this far up the yard before and I’ve had trail cams set up for years. I know they live in the woods behind my property but them being this far up the yard is news to me.

What has me worried is we are extending the run. The camera is currently on the end of the existing run and I want to extend it past the fenced in area. Then put another coop at the end of that. So on the other side of the fenced area you can see will be an 8x10 coop. I’m worried that it’s so far down the yard the fox will get into the coop. I plan on getting an electric fence for around the whole perimeter of the coop and run but will that be enough? I’m anxious about seeing this guy and just need some advice I guess.

This time of year. I suspect the “guy” is actually a “gal” looking for a big, easy to catch meal to feed her litter of kits. I have never had a fox break into a coop or run. They have wreaked havoc on my flock when they are free ranging in the evenings though. Especially females with a litter. One was bold enough to come almost to my back door. To try and catch a chicken. If I see a fox in the area. I start taking my dogs for a walk in the woods before I let my chickens out. Usually getting chased a time or two by a pair of bulldogs three times their size. Convinces them there are better meal choices elsewhere. If electric netting can keep raccoons out of my sweet corn patch. I am sure that it will keep foxes away from your chickens.

I was checking my chicken cameras before bed, like I always do, and saw this guy on the yard camera. I’ve never seen a fox this far up the yard before and I’ve had trail cams set up for years. I know they live in the woods behind my property but them being this far up the yard is news to me.

What has me worried is we are extending the run. The camera is currently on the end of the existing run and I want to extend it past the fenced in area. Then put another coop at the end of that. So on the other side of the fenced area you can see will be an 8x10 coop. I’m worried that it’s so far down the yard the fox will get into the coop. I plan on getting an electric fence for around the whole perimeter of the coop and run but will that be enough? I’m anxious about seeing this guy and just need some advice I guess.
Yes, if done properly electric fence will deter the fox. It has worked wonders for me. Here is a good thread on electric fencing if you need help. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/electric-fence-basics.1398976/#post-22958802

I’m anxious about seeing this guy and just need some advice I guess.
Foxes are good diggers. If your coops have a dirt floor, you'll need an apron of hardware cloth, wielded wire, concrete or something else to prevent digging under the coop.

My raised coops are inside pens and are secure from predators when pop door is closed after sunset.
I don't have an apron around my pens and had a Fox tried to dig under fence around 1:30 am.
STC_0004.JPG
It gave up before gaining access.
20190806_100156_resized.jpg
20190806_100031_resized.jpg

Fence was buried about 4 inches.
I don't have electric wire around fence so can't help out there.
Fox and Bobcat are bold around here and come around during daylight hours.
I lost 2 hens last year while free ranging. One to a Fox in March around sunset and another to a Bobcat last June around 3:30 pm.
I lost a pullet last month to a Coopers Hawk while free ranging around sunset.
I consider myself lucky to only loose 3 chickens in 5 years of having chickens. GC

I have foxes on my game cam nightly, usually several times a night. There is about a 30 foot throughway between the camera & the coop. I have never seen them up at the coop or run, but I am sure they may have been. The coop is at the back of my yard, right next to the woods. I think my yard is a race track from the farm field on the other side to the development behind me. My girls are closed in at night, so I am not too alarmed. I worry more when I see the occasional raccoon.

What kind of electric fence
I was going to go with three wires, instead of netting, and solar power. But I hadn’t nailed it all down yet.

Foxes are good diggers. If your coops have a dirt floor, you'll need an apron of hardware cloth, wielded wire, concrete or something else to prevent digging under the coop.

My raised coops are inside pens and are secure from predators when pop door is closed after sunset.
I don't have an apron around my pens and had a Fox tried to dig under fence around 1:30 am.View attachment 2609958 It gave up before gaining access.View attachment 2609946View attachment 2609947
Fence was buried about 4 inches.
I don't have electric wire around fence so can't help out there.
Fox and Bobcat are bold around here and come around during daylight hours.
I lost 2 hens last year while free ranging. One to a Fox in March around sunset and another to a Bobcat last June around 3:30 pm.
I lost a pullet last month to a Coopers Hawk while free ranging around sunset.
I consider myself lucky to only loose 3 chickens in 5 years of having chickens. GC
Thank you. I didn’t think to put an apron around the new coop but will. All my coops currently are raised and are enclosed in the current run. Which is buried two feet into the ground. My husband said I was crazy when I told him how far I wanted to bury it but I’m glad I did.

It sounds like the electric fencing will be well worth it. Thank you all for your advice and pictures. I do feel a bit better now and can go at the new run with a solid plan.

I have poly rope wires around my coops and pens. I have seen places where a predator has attempted to dig under a fence but once it came in contact with the electric wires it aborted the attempt. Most predators explore with their noses. I have the electric wires around my coops and pens good heavy duty netting covering all of the pens and concrete under the gates all due to losses from predators in the past. You want to make sure your fence charger will put out at least 7000 volts, a charger that is at least 1 joule, which will deter most predators. If the shock isn't hot enough then some predators will get used to the lower shock. If you don't have AC at your coop then I would consider solar or a DC fence charger and a battery. I have a quite powerful fence charger. I do have an AC charger which can tolerate weeds touching the wires somewhat but I still keep the perimeter under the wires weed free. I want any predator that touches my wires to know it. I see more predators this time of year because I believe they are hunting to feed their youngsters. @Howard E has some very good threads on electric fencing. I have had mine up for many years. I have several game cameras up on my property and see predators on at least one of the cameras most every night. Good luck...
http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/tips-for-protecting-poultry-from-predators
It may not be very pretty but works.
20210115_095548.jpg

I have poly rope wires around my coops and pens. I have seen places where a predator has attempted to dig under a fence but once it came in contact with the electric wires it aborted the attempt. Most predators explore with their noses. I have the electric wires around my coops and pens good heavy duty netting covering all of the pens and concrete under the gates all due to losses from predators in the past. You want to make sure your fence charger will put out at least 7000 volts, a charger that is at least 1 joule, which will deter most predators. If the shock isn't hot enough then some predators will get used to the lower shock. If you don't have AC at your coop then I would consider solar or a DC fence charger and a battery. I have a quite powerful fence charger. I do have an AC charger which can tolerate weeds touching the wires somewhat but I still keep the perimeter under the wires weed free. I want any predator that touches my wires to know it. I see more predators this time of year because I believe they are hunting to feed their youngsters. @Howard E has some very good threads on electric fencing. I have had mine up for many years. I have several game cameras up on my property and see predators on at least one of the cameras most every night. Good luck...
http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/tips-for-protecting-poultry-from-predators
It may not be very pretty but works.
View attachment 2612077
Thank you. When I was looking into fencing I didn’t know what voltage to go with. There’s so many and I didn’t want to hurt my chickens. I think I was going to go with 8000. I have a spread sheet of fencing I was looking at and had decided on one. But I’ll have to look at them again. Having the fencing up will make me feel much better about the foxes in my yard. I planned on putting it up but wasn’t sure how to do it. Looking at all the resources on here has made it easier.

Back
Top Bottom