Foxes!!

chicken singer

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 24, 2012
I have been having some fox attacks on my hens pretty frequently. Is there any good way to keep them from getting my girls or to keep them out of the yard, period? (besides not letting them free range)
Thanks
Autumn

Trapping the fox. Depending on where you live there are plenty of people who would gladly take care of it for yoy

Im not interested in killing the fox, after all he is just doing what he needs to do. Trapping and relocating seems like the best option.
Thanks!

I have been having some fox attacks on my hens pretty frequently. Is there any good way to keep them from getting my girls or to keep them out of the yard, period? (besides not letting them free range)
Thanks
Autumn

Best offense can be a great defense! We were losing almost a bird a day at one point, got a Pyranees guard dog and haven't lost a bird since. He's a total lover but can scare any predator we have around here just being here. Best investment we've made in flock security. Currently working on integrating goat into yard, he doesn't know dog will only play with him.

Till then, id set traps and stay up watching with gun, I know he's only trying to eat and feed his young, but that's not a risk free instinct for him and he knows he's not at top of food chain, I am!

Last edited:
We have a 1/2 Pyrenees 1/4 Border Collie 1/4 Australian Shepard. She's kept everything away since I got her. I still set traps though, catch some coons and skunks.
I'm thinking of buying a full blooded LGD now. If I can manage to spend $200 on one since the one I have now was free
1f602.png

Im not interested in killing the fox, after all he is just doing what he needs to do. Trapping and relocating seems like the best option.
Thanks!
Relocating the fox alive is most likely illegal and definitely irresponsible. You will just be giving your problem to someone else and/or into another foxes range. If you trap it, you kill it.

A dog that stays outside with the chickens is the best defense against foxes, followed by a good fence.
These are your two best options if you are unwilling to get rid of the fox.

Relocating the fox alive is most likely illegal and definitely irresponsible. You will just be giving your problem to someone else and/or into another foxes range. If you trap it, you kill it.

A dog that stays outside with the chickens is the best defense against foxes, followed by a good fence.

Yes relocating can cause a lot of stress, it can actually cause the animal to become very dis oriented due to the new area..

I should have added that entire area encompassing coops has a fence, guard dog only cares about what gets thru that layer of defense and its actually his early warning system, all he needs is one sound and he's running for it barking head off! If you didn't know him, it would scare you, he's big and sounds mean!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom