Foxes!!

Ok...
Let me start off by saying that I am plenty well aware that I am responsible for my hens. I am their care taker and It is my responsibility to do what is right for them so they live a happy life.
So once the attacks started happening, I kept my girls in their pen, instead of free ranging. I don't like it, and they don't like it, but i'm doing what needs to be done to keep them safe.

I guess what I said was confusing to people for some reason; I said, and I quote, "he is just doing what he needs to do"

I did not say, "He's just doing what he needs to do, so i'm just going to let him eat my chickens." And I think a lot of people misunderstood that.

I know plenty well that the fox has other food, and he most definitely is taking the easy way out by attacking my free range hens. But what I was saying is that the fox isn't doing anything wrong on his terms. He is surviving, which is all he wants to do.

I am also now aware of the problems of trapping and relocating, thanks to some other posts (thank you).
And for all of those people supporting dogs and telling me to get guard dogs, I'll let you know that I am not a farm owner, and that is not the right way to go for me.

Sorry I confused people,
I hope this clears things up for all the people calling me out on my "irresponsible" ways

I get what your saying, but letting him get used to even thinking about eating chickens can be the sane effect as feeding a bear etc.

Ok...
Let me start off by saying that I am plenty well aware that I am responsible for my hens. I am their care taker and It is my responsibility to do what is right for them so they live a happy life.
So once the attacks started happening, I kept my girls in their pen, instead of free ranging. I don't like it, and they don't like it, but i'm doing what needs to be done to keep them safe.

I guess what I said was confusing to people for some reason; I said, and I quote, "he is just doing what he needs to do"

I did not say, "He's just doing what he needs to do, so i'm just going to let him eat my chickens." And I think a lot of people misunderstood that.

I know plenty well that the fox has other food, and he most definitely is taking the easy way out by attacking my free range hens. But what I was saying is that the fox isn't doing anything wrong on his terms. He is surviving, which is all he wants to do.

I am also now aware of the problems of trapping and relocating, thanks to some other posts (thank you).
And for all of those people supporting dogs and telling me to get guard dogs, I'll let you know that I am not a farm owner, and that is not the right way to go for me.

Sorry I confused people,
I hope this clears things up for all the people calling me out on my "irresponsible" ways
I totally got what you said....You have good intentions...Sit with them while you free range..An hour is long enough. Chickens can not tell time....Enjoy the birds...

Last edited:
Okay, at first I thought keeping chickens safe from predators would be pretty simple in the UK. After all we don't have Bear, Racoon, Possums, Cougar, Cayote, Bobcats, etc, etc- we just have foxes. But it isn't easy at all. There are foxes everywhere. And smart ones too- a neighbor lost 50 ducks in one night and you even hear about them killing babies. After loosing most of my precious flock, I have learnt things the hard way!

A fox proof fence must be a MINIMUM of 6 foot high, buried 12 inches down, with a 1 foot over hang. Nothing less than welded mesh- chicken wire is easy to chew through. Electric strands at the top and bottom help. Electric poultry netting works well although it has a pricey label and can be shorted out by grass.

I would personally say you should not bother trapping/ killing and instead work on your defence- your poultry fence. If you relocated or killed the foxes more predators will just move in instead.

Make sure you lock them in to a secure coop each night- if this isn't an option I would suggest investing in an automatic door opener, or you could even make your own.

There are various fox deterents on the market, although I'm not sure how effective these are. I've also read that male urine or even dog pee also works?

Hope this helps, and I'm sorry for your losses.

Something I've been doing the past couple weeks that seems to be working is make a fire in a burn barrel, just fill it with scrap wood, I start the fire before I go to bed. I realize not everyone can do that depending on where you live but so far it's worked for me.

Something I've been doing the past couple weeks that seems to be working is make a fire in a burn barrel, just fill it with scrap wood, I start the fire before I go to bed. I realize not everyone can do that depending on where you live but so far it's worked for me.
Oo good tip! I have to burn some wood anyway for the dust bath wood ash. I'll have to look at logistics for leaving it burning unattended though.

Isn't there a risk of it starting a fire?

automatic coop door did not work for me, coyote killed 30 guineas at 10:00 am ,,, fox came next killing three in broad daylight, later saw the fox walking by the coop about noon.

Back
Top Bottom