Framing up!

fightingbunny

Songster
Aug 9, 2016
Maryland
Whew, I feel like I finished a marathon. We got the cinder block foundation in the ground and finished cutting, painting and assembling the framing!

Please tell me that there isn't that much left to do? I seriously underestimated how long it would take us to get this much done and now I am dreading how much more there is to go. I figure, the roof, the hen house, and hardware cloth coverage are the biggest time killers left. For those that have built a coop before, what percentage of the way done am I?

Also, if anyone has any great suggestions for how to arrange a 4x8 hen house I would love any ideas! My current thought is to put the nest boxes on one 4' side and run the roost along the 8' side. It can go over the nest boxes as I want a poop tray under the roost.

I just want to say how much I appreciate everyone posting in this forum. This site has been incredibly helpful.

Jenn

Front view, coop is left segment 4' high and 2' above ground, door is second from right segment. We were one cinder block short and will have to add it in the future.
20170619_064946.jpg

Right side view from outside, run area.
20170619_064814.jpg

Left side view from inside, coop area.
20170619_063720.jpg

Our multi-level dropdown to handle my worries about the hillside slopage
20170619_064501.jpg

View of foundation across backside of run
20170619_064549.jpg

My awesome painting area that was inside, air conditioned, out of the rain, and lit at night. Best idea ever!
20170618_161451.jpg

My wonderful husband and daughter "enjoying" some quality time on Father's Day making my coop :)
20170618_175028.jpg

Next for me would be digging predator deterent (1/2" hardware cloth, either down in ground a foot or more Or under the ground and angled out about 18" to 24 inches)) and then the rest of the build will go nicely. Super job so far from your photos.

I thought you were supposed to finish the roof before doing hardware cloth? It is helpful to be able to reach and position yourself without the hardware cloth getting in the way. As I have never done any of this before, I don't know. The instructions I have say to do the roof first.

I thought you were supposed to finish the roof before doing hardware cloth? It is helpful to be able to reach and position yourself without the hardware cloth getting in the way. As I have never done any of this before, I don't know. The instructions I have say to do the roof first.
Yes I would finish the roof first. Good looking build so far!

Next for me would be digging predator deterent (1/2" hardware cloth, either down in ground a foot or more Or under the ground and angled out about 18" to 24 inches)) and then the rest of the build will go nicely. Super job so far from your photos.

They meant the anti-digging apron....that can go on later too tho.
Here a great example of one.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

Looking pretty good so far!
I hope your hubs is teaching your girl how to use those tools ;) as well as having a nice chat. That's a lovely tableau.

Whew, I feel like I finished a marathon. We got the cinder block foundation in the ground and finished cutting, painting and assembling the framing!

Please tell me that there isn't that much left to do? I seriously underestimated how long it would take us to get this much done and now I am dreading how much more there is to go. I figure, the roof, the hen house, and hardware cloth coverage are the biggest time killers left. For those that have built a coop before, what percentage of the way done am I?

Also, if anyone has any great suggestions for how to arrange a 4x8 hen house I would love any ideas! My current thought is to put the nest boxes on one 4' side and run the roost along the 8' side. It can go over the nest boxes as I want a poop tray under the roost.

I just want to say how much I appreciate everyone posting in this forum. This site has been incredibly helpful.

Jenn

Front view, coop is left segment 4' high and 2' above ground, door is second from right segment. We were one cinder block short and will have to add it in the future.
View attachment 1047183

Right side view from outside, run area.
View attachment 1047184

Left side view from inside, coop area.
View attachment 1047185

Our multi-level dropdown to handle my worries about the hillside slopage
View attachment 1047186

View of foundation across backside of run
View attachment 1047187

My awesome painting area that was inside, air conditioned, out of the rain, and lit at night. Best idea ever!
View attachment 1047189

My wonderful husband and daughter "enjoying" some quality time on Father's Day making my coop :)
View attachment 1047190
How many chickens will you house in there I'm new to chickens been at it about 3 months. I have a 4x8 house for 8 chickens if I had it again I'd go 8x10 or 12. I'm good this year but next year I'm building my 8x12 and going up to 20 or so chickens. Then I'll either sell the first draft or keep it as a storage place for my chicken stuff

@aart I am dreading putting the apron in because there are a LOT of tree roots back there in the woods... I have a feeling I will have a very secure coop/run except for a badly done apron due to exhaustion cutting roots.

@Rob Tof I sized this coop for 8 chickens. The coop part is 4' by 8' and the run is 15' by 8'. I have 7 chickens for now, but I am zoned for up to 8 so I thought it would be wise to build for the maximum :) The actual coop might be a little tight on roosting if I can't figure out how to get the full 8' roost bar in over the nesting boxes with a poop tray, but the worst case gives 7' roost bar for 7-8 chickens. I think they can work with that amount of space.

@aart I am dreading putting the apron in because there are a LOT of tree roots back there in the woods... I have a feeling I will have a very secure coop/run except for a badly done apron due to exhaustion cutting roots.
The apron doesn't need to be buried, just well staked down at the outer edges.
Hopefully you can work around the roots instead of cutting too many of them.

Don't forget food and water area in the coop. I have both in and out food and water faunts. In Conn our winters aren't to bad but I'll need a heater for the water so it doesn't freeze. Summer make sure you are well vented. I just put a fan in my coop to get extra air flow going saw my hens panting for about 5 mins so I stuck my head in then it hit me humid and heat. Out side I have a mister in the cage area. If I'm home I just let the birds free range.

I do not have power or water run up to the coop/run area. I might in the future at least run power, but that isn't in the budget/plan for this year. So any water that goes into the coop, I have to hand carry up the hill. I am planning on having a gutter lead into rain barrel eventually to help with water management. That won't help the freezing problem, but last winter I only had about two weeks that I had to worry about frozen water.

The coop plan that I am mostly following does not have a ceiling over the coop and it is open at the top. I am putting windows in all four sides of the coop, so it should be as well ventilated as it can be. I will cover the side windows in the winter to prevent drafts, but I am not sure if I will add a ceiling to the coop area. I will have to see how drafty it is. If it is crazy hot and muggy, I don't see how I can change that without giving the chickens air conditioning! The coop is on a hill in the woods, so it won't be hotter than the outside temperature.

If the run is secure, why not have the coop door open always and then you can just keep water and food in the run? That seems easier to keep water from soaking the coop floor and food always goes everywhere. With poop trays under roosts, I am expecting to keep the coop reasonably non yucky.

Back
Top Bottom