Franken chicken? My first hatched

Thewoolyworks

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2020
This is my first year as a chicken mom. I wanted to have a variety of birds. We couldn’t pick just one 😆 we got 21 pullets from Mt. Healthy. So much fun having these ladies. We also ended up with bantams and ducks from TSC. I couldn’t help it I saw them and omg so cute. Long story short... of the 4 silkies 3 are roos lol. They live with the big girls and are doing a great job at taking care of them.
One hen decided to go broody and I didn’t have the heart to stop her lol 🥰. She started with 8 eggs, I accidentally broke one and one never hatched even though it was full grown.
She has 6 little chicks and is doing a good has a mom.
Some have the extra toes like silkies and a few are regular, some have the black skin some don’t etc. And I have no idea whose was whose eggs lol.

Is there anything I need to be looking out for? I hope they all turn out ok. They started hatching 12/6. so far all seem perky and acting like normal chicks.

we did bring them into the garage when we had some really cold days I was worried about Wanda trying to keep them ans herself warm.
0EC84D9D-C801-4A3C-9AE7-44D89282C5E7.jpeg
CC856FE8-FB64-4096-9200-C18CAB0DD500.jpeg
901AA2DA-AD4F-4876-A79C-40E50CA21EAE.jpeg
2B1A6ECE-C426-4CFA-99E2-7E7A9CDD1CE7.jpeg

omg so cute now I want more chicks lol

Rebecca in Ohio

Interesting colors of chicks with white Silkie roosters. That means the roosters are probably recessive white based or if dominant white based they are not pure for those genes. With those toes and different skin colors I'd guess the boys are kind of mixed anyway. What that means is you will not know which boy is the father or which girl is the mother from all those pullets.

With six chicks and a hen that big they should be OK, the hen should be able to keep then warm. If you had a dozen chicks I might be concerned. I don't know here you live or what you consider cold anyway but you probably don't need to do much if anything special because of col weather. Broody hens are really good at taking are of chicks.

Interesting colors of chicks with white Silkie roosters. That means the roosters are probably recessive white based or if dominant white based they are not pure for those genes. With those toes and different skin colors I'd guess the boys are kind of mixed anyway. What that means is you will not know which boy is the father or which girl is the mother from all those pullets.

With six chicks and a hen that big they should be OK, the hen should be able to keep then warm. If you had a dozen chicks I might be concerned. I don't know here you live or what you consider cold anyway but you probably don't need to do much if anything special because of col weather. Broody hens are really good at taking are of chicks.
It got down to like 2deg 🥶 I’m in Ohio. She wants to take the chicks out to the run but keeps getting into fights with the other hens 🙄. The hens don’t even bother the chicks but Wanda sure is protective of those babies lol. She even pecks me or comes after me when I try to feed them lol. It’s funny I just let her be herself.

Back
Top Bottom