Freak out sans light...

kscottjoyce

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 22, 2011
Townsend
So I have some 6 week old chicks who seem to freak out like it is the end of the world if the lights go out. The noise they make is incredible and they just cannot seem to move on from having a heat lamp on all the time. Anyone know if this is a normal situation and they just need to get used to the dark or should I leave a light on for now?

Have you tried switching from the clear heat lamp bulb to the red bulb? The red bulb will let them better acclimate to darkness. If you've been using the clear bulb all this time, try switching the bulb after sundown to the red bulb, then switching back to the clear at dawn. This way, you can help develop their circadian clock and get them used to less light.

Of course, if you have been using the red light all along, then perhaps the chicks are just afraid of being alone when the lights go out? Maybe set up a radio near them, so they can hear voices when it's dark and not get all panicky. Good luck!

I put a tiny night light on instead of the heat lamp so they can still see each other. They don't seem to take the sudden switch to darkness well. The night light helps:)

Quite normal. If you want to get them used to the dark gradually, that's fine. Or just turn out the light and wait til they calm down. They will.

But don't have a light 24/7 on them for the long term; they won't get enough rest.

I do have a red bulb that I never even used since it didn't create enough heat. I think I will try the red bulb for a few days and let the get used to less light. Thank you all for your help!

Back
Top Bottom