Freaking out about temp in incubator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by delaswim, Feb 28, 2011.

1. delaswim

delaswim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2011
    Smithville, MO
    I hope everyting is ok in my incubator. The thermometer slid off the eggs and now reads at 96-97 degrees. Previously, it had been stabilized at 99.5-100. I’m guessing no, but should I open the incubator to set the thermometer back on the eggs? Or just wait till day 7 when I candle them? I’ve got a Hova Bator Styrofoam system with the egg turner. Thanks for the feedback, I'm a newbie at this...

2. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    hello and welcome [​IMG]

I think you are ok to open and reposition your thermometer. That is just my opinion but I really think you would be ok.

3. ShadowRooster

ShadowRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    claremont, NH
    My temp dropped to 85 and all chicks still hatched.. open it, it will be fine. Have you been adding water? That would be a good time to do it.

4. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I open my incubator about 8 times a day to turn the eggs. Things are going well, and I believe we'll have a better hatch this go-round than last time.

5. delaswim

Feb 28, 2011
    Smithville, MO
    I read the Dry Incubation article and I'm leary opening it up just to reset the thermometer. I'm guessing the temp is ok since I had it stabilized before adding the eggs. I had the center water channel filled, so I don't think adding water is necessary at this point. I just wish someone would say,"don't worry about it and leave it closed till day 7".

6. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    is this a forced air system...? or still air...?

if it's still air, i think it should be fine...

7. delaswim

Feb 28, 2011
    Smithville, MO
    It's a still air. I went ahead and opened, just barely, to set the thermometer back on the eggs. After a couple hours the temp was reading 100. So I guess all is well, and I don't have worry. Thanks for all the feedback.

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I don't have a still air but I think the temp should be around 101*

9. cutechick2010

cutechick2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

You will have to refill the water channel several times. Do you have one of those thermometers that tells you the humidity as well as the temp? If not, you need one. You can get a small one for six bucks at Wal-Mart.

10. delaswim

Feb 28, 2011
    Smithville, MO
    No, I have no idea what the humidity is. I know I need to monitor that. I'm going to put my "humidity checker" from my humidor into the incubator. That will give me a better idea. I know this much: I'm not seeing any water evaporate from the tray. My incubator is in my basement which is always humid to begin with. I'd hate to drown my chicks before they even hatch! Any thoughts? Humidity in a still air incy should be set at 40%? I think that's what I've read. Right now I'm on day 4, so I can adjust accordingly. Thanks again.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by