Freaking out here!!! Leave it alone?

HootonChic

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 26, 2016
This is my second chick to do this. One I left alone all night hoping it would come on out but its hole wasn’t as big. It died overnight. The other chicks hatching have rolled this one over and pieces of shell just fall off. It doesn’t look ready and I freak out at the idea of assisting.

Attachments

• 0922A53B-9CBB-444E-BF88-88B934DAFF15.jpeg
    0922A53B-9CBB-444E-BF88-88B934DAFF15.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 9
  • D2A197C8-3196-4F25-8B80-32FD85EB5E30.jpeg
    D2A197C8-3196-4F25-8B80-32FD85EB5E30.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 8
Yes. It has been about 26 hours since pip. Their actual hatch day is today and 8 have hatched. The two that have done this were both the dark brown eggs. It just bothers me that I can still see blood vessels. I guess as long as it’s moving its beak, it is ok?

Yes. It has been about 26 hours since pip. Their actual hatch day is today and 8 have hatched. The two that have done this were both the dark brown eggs. It just bothers me that I can still see blood vessels. I guess as long as it’s moving its beak, it is ok?

Well, hatching is a tough process. Be prepared it may not go well. I'd personally give it as long as you can until you start to see clear exhaustion (a complete lack of any kind of will to get out). At that point you may want to intervene- but be aware if things didn't develop right it's going to be a sad situation in there. Nothing you can do to fix that if it is the case, that's nature. I'll keep the fingers crossed for you and the little one!

Thank you all! I will probably let nature take its course unless it looks to be thriving and just stuck. As many times as I’ve hatched, it doesn’t get easier to watch one go bad. I’ve never had one do this much less two in a single hatch. From 18 viable eggs, 10 have hatched, lost one and 6 have pips. I always come back to this forum to help calm my nerves. Y’all are the BEST!

Best of luck to you! One thing I have found helpful when you have a little one that seems to be taking longer than others is to keep the "hatching area" of the egg moist.

What I mean is the bird itself and the edges of the membrane and whatnot. They tend to dry out and this drying can cause the membrane to stick to the bird, which makes it even harder for them to zip their way out. I usually keep a little cup of distilled water nearby and will dab a little here and there if I see it getting a little too dry for my comfort. I have been successful with this technique when I've had a couple difficult hatches, or at least it felt like it helped.

I've seen some of the birds get totally dried with the goo inside and it's like super glue to the egg. Keeping things moist, seems to help keep the train rolling.

Good luck little baby, keep pushing!! :)

Back
Top Bottom