Freaking out! Is there a disease in my flock?!!!

Dalylah

Chirping
Jul 27, 2020
So my hens have been acting normal and active and drinking/eating but there is like stuff coming out of their beaks!! It’s like a liquidity/Mucous spit. My RIR I have seen do it twice and my mix bred chicken did it once. It is hot so I don’t know if that has something to do with it. Is this normal? Do your chickens do this?!!

I have seen this happen to one of mine after they ate new food really quickly and drank. It was like they were regurgitating thickened water. It eventually went away the same day. However I would not take this as the final word. It might be because they are so hot and drinking a lot of water. Keep an eye on their behavior and how the poop looks is very important. You said it was hot so a more loose poop might happen. It is scary when we notice something awry with our babies!

My chickens do that when it's hot. I think they drink a lot of extra water and it kinda leaks out of them. I'm not an expert but it's never lead to problems with my flock. I haven't seen them do it when it's cool out.

My chickens do that when it's hot. I think they drink a lot of extra water and it kinda leaks out of them. I'm not an expert but it's never lead to problems with my flock. I haven't seen them do it when it's cool out.
Ok thank you! That’s what I was hoping because they are perfectly healthy chickens otherwise. Thank you again!

Yes they will do that! I was so worried when I first noticed mine doing this. I figured out that if they drank a whole bunch and immediately bent down to peck or something the water would just come right back out. I think it's just because they drank so much it didn't have a chance to absorb into their crop before they bent down. If that's what's happening they should be fine. Of course I don't want to give you false reassurance so def keep monitoring them☺️

I have seen this happen to one of mine after they ate new food really quickly and drank. It was like they were regurgitating thickened water. It eventually went away the same day. However I would not take this as the final word. It might be because they are so hot and drinking a lot of water. Keep an eye on their behavior and how the poop looks is very important. You said it was hot so a more loose poop might happen. It is scary when we notice something awry with our babies!
Thank you! It’s super wierd because right after they do it they eat it!

If they are doing it right after they eat, it may be normal.
How are you feeding them? Free choice or bringing a controlled ration out?
Do you provide grit - crushed granite?

It's a very good idea to check their crops first thing in the morning before they eat/drink to make sure they are empty/flat. If you find the crops are not emptying, then treating for crop issues would be important.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

It's a very good idea to check their crops first thing in the morning before they eat/drink to make sure they are empty/flat. If you find the crops are not emptying, then treating for crop issues would be important.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
The guy at the feed store said to feed this medicated grower until 7 months of age and they are 6 months old right now. I also give them this dumor scratch and mealworms.

They all have access to oyster shells

Back
Top Bottom