Freakish Chick

This is my 2 week old Buff Orpington...she looks like big bird from sesame street! LOL
smile.png

CIMG6748.jpg

I guess it's normal...she just is getting sooo many more feathers then the barred rock and this is my first experience, so I'll take your words for it that she's normal...LOL....hopefully she'll be a fat little girl that doesn't take flight! LOL...the barred rock is a little more flighty for sure!
wink.png
She's friendly, but she likes to be sitting on you, not having you hold her...the BO loves to be held, sit on you, be petted, etc...uber friendly chick!!! (hope she knows better when it comes to befriending wildlife or our dogs!!!)
roll.png

Not to freak you out, but that IS one big chick!!! Mine are getting feathers faster than others, but they aren't as big. Hmmmmmmmm...

What would you do if you had a Cornish?
hmm.png

Quote:
SHE
fl.gif
would be fine no matter what she is...she is soooo friendly and such a lovely personality, but I would rip the feedstore a new one for selling me a buff orpington that wasn't...LOL
wink.png

but she is big IMHO...

She looks like my BOs. They grew quickly as well. Two of them did at least. One of them is still smaller than the other two and doesn't have nearly as many feathers. I was worried the one that was slower was a roo so I asked about it but most people assured me that BOs just vary greatly in their feathering rate. But my two BOs are currently 5.5 weeks old and are GINORMOUS. I also have BRs and they are not as big but have kind of caught up now.

Quote:
It's funny because in photos it's tough to see that big of a difference between the BR & the BO...but in person the BO looks way bigger and has WAY MORE feathers! She is sooo sweet and gentle, just lov'm...the BR is a bit more flighty, but will sit on you, under HER terms...I speak of them as HERS...because they are supposed to be HERS, but whenever I read threads that have 'what is the sex?' all the advice given leaves me with one roos...sometimes the BO and sometimes the BR...maybe I'll have cross dressing chickens that enjoy both rolls? They will cock-a-doodle doo while laying an egg! LOL
wink.png

I've been wondering the same thing about mine. I have 2 BO's and one is definately bigger, but I also have 3 RIR's and they are small, big and REALLY big. And the bigger ones are more feathered out.
It's just strange...

Here's one of my BOs at 5 weeks old with my new babies (2 EEs and a SLW).
LuLuFifiGuinevereandBlossom.jpg

Here's one at around 2.5 weeks old
blossominmirror.jpg

Also one around 2.5 weeks old
gettingbigger.jpg

And here are some of my chicks taking a dustbath (you can see my BR roo standing and watching there and see how few feathers he has compared to the BO. They are probably around 2-2.5 weeks here.
sharingadustbath.jpg

My BO is growing about the same speed as the other chicks her age. I also have two Barred Rocks the same age as her and they are bigger. Another Barred Rock that is one week older is Much larger. The breed that is growing very fast for me is Black Australorp. The two of them are huge compared to the others their age (a little over 5 weeks). The two of them have had a voice change also. They sound more like a hen clucking then a chick. The others often stop and look at them when the chirp.

I am a little disappointed that my BO chick is not very friendly. Maybe she will come around as she gets older. My friendliest bird by far is my Gold Comet.

Back
Top Bottom