FREE battery hens, pick-up only

catwalk

Songster
10 Years
May 19, 2009
I keep my horse at a small commercial egg farm, and the birds left in trucks this morning, bound for a processing facility. There were a few "escapees" in the manure pits, and I spent a few hours today rounding them up. There were seven in one barn, and I haven't been in the other one yet. I imagine there is a similar amount in it also. These birds are about 18 months old, and they're still laying. One had an egg bulging out of her as I was herding her! They have literally, as of this posting, been on my property for ten minutes, and they are nuts! The longer I have them, the calmer I expect them to get, but I have no desire to keep them. I only caught them to save them from starving to death, and now they need good homes. You will need to accomodate them in the winter for their small bodies and big floppy combs. They were bred this way for efficiency of laying and heat dispersal in cramped quarters, but now they will need special consideration for these features. Their beaks all seem to be in decent shape. Their toenails need trimmed, and a couple have minor medical issues that need tended. One injured a toe in the catching process, but I have not been able to evaluate it yet. Another has black lesions on her rear. That's all I've noticed so far. I will take care of them as best as I can until they get new homes. They may even get baths, if I think they will be able to emotionally handle it! I'd like for them to go together, as I don't have time to arrange for several pick-ups. PM or email me with your interest.
31816_img_0932.jpg
31816_img_0931.jpg
31816_img_0934.jpg

I hope I can, too. They're super-stressed right now. They're used to being fed from a conveyor outside their pens, and I'm afraid of stressing them more by putting my hand in the pen to feed them. I use pop-bottle waterers, and I think they may catch on to that pretty quick, and I may wait until nighttime to put food in. I scooped up two buckets of spilled feed at the farm, so I have food that they're used to.

dear god that is just sooo sad to look at! POOOR lil chickens, i mean look how pale their combs are! You are such an angel for gathering them up. I so wish i was closer cause i would take all of them!!!!

I really hope they find great homes

OH MY! Poor sweet things. I'm way to far away to be able to help with homes, though I hope they find homes soon. Homes where they will be treated with love.

I think it's absolutely wonderful that you took them in, and if you do end up deciding to split some of them up, PM me. I don't have room for seven, unfortunately, but I'd gladly take two!
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom