Free Chicken Apron/Saddle Pattern

So I tried the pattern, as I had two of my 9 layers that laid steadily for me all winter...so guess who's feathers are a bit beat up. My roo is a nice fellow but just too much love for two girls. As Sylvia's feathers started to break off at the base of her tail and under her wings...I noted some of the others helping her preen a little too much. They were actually helping with further feather removal...and it's still winter 25 degree weather, snow storms, the works. I made this out of a canvasy cotton broadcloth with a pattern similar to their color so they wouldn't get picked on as much. It has a polar fleece backing for softness and warmth and polar fleece under wing straps with velcro dot closures. Those had a hard adhesive which have stayed on a day or so...but I noticed now after a dusting or two they are starting to lose their sticky and the hen aprons are coming off as the adhesive comes off the strap or the canvas. I need to just tack them on with a couple stitches.

Here is Sylvia enjoying her scratch, kale, apples and already dusty hen apron.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I am going to try to make a polar fleece one for my poor favorite hen. I like the idea that the polar fleece requires no stitching and will be somewhat light weight when wet. Just hoping it stands up to the Roo. It also seems to me that the polar fleece holes may be a bit more comfy than elastic. I'll let you know how it goes.

I have made a saddle something similar to this one. However instead of stitching a band, I just took my polar fleece and cut holes for the wings to go in. No sewing project. Worked great and chickens didn't mind wearing them.

Tried making one out of old umbrella fabric thinking it would be breathable light weight and somewhat water proof so that it would not get to soggy in wet weather, but... it is too light weight and flips up not fully protecting the back to allow feathers to grow back. Guess I will try making one out of denim and spray a little water repellent on it

Thats a good idea. I have read about a lady who sells these and I believe she advertises that she uses Scotch gaurd on them. I guess I should pick some up. They are under a covered run but I imagine our snow should start to melt away sometimes soon and these snow flurries will change to April showers.

Thank you ladies!! I am off to joanns tonight to raid their scrap bin! I have two girls with bare backs... they DESPERATELY need aprons! curious to see what the scrap bin has in store for my girls!

I just went to the back to basic living web page and the tutorial for the saddle is great!!! I have 4 hens with naked backs that desperately need these beautiful cover-ups! Will hopefully get them made soon to post some pics.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom