Free Chicken Apron/Saddle Pattern

Pics
Does anyone have problems with the hens going completely bald under the aprons after wearing for a few months? I made my aprons out of duck cloth. My hens are all naked underneath the aprons now. Any advice?

The aprons can be used as protection against frisky roos and to prevent feather picking by other chickens when one is molting. It should not cause baldness. When chickens molt I add extra protein to encourage feather growth.

In regards to aprons with wings, I have seen patterns and will attempt that soon. I have a Buff Orp that needs it for her wings. She not only molted but went into being broody so she needs additional protection. The reason i use heavy cotton along with cotton batting is because it is breathable thus should prevent overheating. Canvas and denim makes sense but we are in the SC where it gets really hot and I do not want them overheating.

I am in West Virginia so weather definitely has not been hot. I didn't wash the aprons or fabric before I turned it into aprons. Maybe I better make some new ones out of cotton and see if that helps.

Last edited:
I'm in Michigan so definitely not a temperature issue. My hens have aprons made from many different fabrics, including cuts from old worn out blue jeans which were washed hundreds of times. I'm thinking some type of mite or feather louse? Although I have searched for anything that could possibly be crawling on them both in daytime and dark and have found no trace. We have done multiple dustings and ivermectin. After my hens molted I didn't need to put the aprons back on and so far those hens look great. The younger ones look awful and I assume they'll stay that way until they molt. I give high protein feed but they don't regrow feathers.

This is my Betsy in her "hen saver" with wing/shoulder protection as well.

38460_img_4029.jpg
Where did you get this one with the wing and shoulder protection?
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom