Free Chicken Apron/Saddle Pattern

Pics
How do the polar fleece ones do in the hot summers? I just bought some cotton fabric and am working on double sided ones so they can be flipped to reveal a new decoration and am wondering about the fleece ones as well. My hens have been cut and I do not like that at all.

OK, I'm sure I'm being stupid about this...

Both of my sex link hens have been getting too much attention and one of them has got a heck of a slash last night...

I know I have too many roosters and I have had zero luck rehoming them - so I'll need to step up and deal with that myself...

But in the mean time, I want to make saddles for the girls. I see a bunch of different design option for a apron/saddle and fabric choices - can I use thin leather? Would it be completely stupid to make it look like an actual saddle? I know of some fabric that can take a more solid form when heated...

OK, I'm sure I'm being stupid about this...

Both of my sex link hens have been getting too much attention and one of them has got a heck of a slash last night...

I know I have too many roosters and I have had zero luck rehoming them - so I'll need to step up and deal with that myself...

But in the mean time, I want to make saddles for the girls. I see a bunch of different design option for a apron/saddle and fabric choices - can I use thin leather? Would it be completely stupid to make it look like an actual saddle? I know of some fabric that can take a more solid form when heated...

I would thick leather would get wet and dry hard. It would be hard to wash too.

Quote:
Yes. And it would get nasty quick. Also it would get to smooth and slick for the roosters to stand on and they might hurt then hen worse when they fall off. It's also much cheaper to buy fabric than leather. A couple dollars a yard is much cheaper than a few dollars a square foot.

I was just thinking leather because of the inherent funny of an actual saddle on the hen, I have a bunch of leather scrap, so cost is not as much of an issue, but after posting the question the other downsides of leather came to me. I have some fake leather, but that's a pain to deal with so I'll likely use some canvas scraps...

I see this thread isn't too old. I searched through some pages of it, and had a question, if no one minds. :)
I used this pattern to make my chicken saddles, and while it makes a great pattern, does anyone know how to make one with shoulder covers?
I have used the apron on 2 of my hens, and it seemingly did nothing for their backs... I don't know if the others just lifted the saddle and plucked anyhow?

Now I have a chicken who has plucked shoulders. I am not sure who is even doing it as every time I check on them she sleeps alone on the floor of the coop.
I have Blu-Koted her, and she pecks it off and is the only one with a blue beak in the morning!
She is my favorite hen, a beautiful speckled sussex, so I hate to see her this way.
Any help on putting shoulders on the saddle are welcome!

Red and I thank you. :)

I see this thread isn't too old. I searched through some pages of it, and had a question, if no one minds. :)
I used this pattern to make my chicken saddles, and while it makes a great pattern, does anyone know how to make one with shoulder covers?
I have used the apron on 2 of my hens, and it seemingly did nothing for their backs... I don't know if the others just lifted the saddle and plucked anyhow?

Now I have a chicken who has plucked shoulders. I am not sure who is even doing it as every time I check on them she sleeps alone on the floor of the coop.
I have Blu-Koted her, and she pecks it off and is the only one with a blue beak in the morning!
She is my favorite hen, a beautiful speckled sussex, so I hate to see her this way.
Any help on putting shoulders on the saddle are welcome!

Red and I thank you. :)
Here's some:
http://www.amazon.com/Hen-Saver-Cam...UTF8&qid=1410467746&sr=8-3&keywords=hen+saver

=============================
http://www.amazon.com/Hen-Saver-Sho...TF8&qid=1410467746&sr=8-16&keywords=hen+saver

Back
Top Bottom