Free chickens, need help identifying them

The two on the right look like Red Stars to me. I have a young one right now; she is very sweet. They are excellent layers, so I would say that free and partially grown is a fantastic deal!! I don't know about the other one... the person who say GLW were rare at TSC is probably right, but it could be one. I say take 'em!

Quote:
hmmm they don't look anything like my BO's...mine never had the white on them

They look more like Red Stars

I have to agree totally with BarefootMom. And my GLW chicks had brown on them with rose combs. These are very likely to be Red Stars or similar hybrid.

ETA: I FINALLY saw the chick in the bottom left corner.
roll.png
It has some Gold Laced Wyandotte coloring. Does it have a rose comb? GLW doesn't seem like a common TSC breed, but it is possible.

My BO's started out with a little white on wing tips...I got all my GLW's from TSC
smile.png

Heehee there's no mistaking that messy Wyandotte face. My SLW looked like a masked vulture for a looong time before her lacing really kicked in.

The others look like production reds. I was tempted to say they were Golden Comets, but my girls have much more hodgepodge coloring on their hindquarters, not that nice solid red your girls have going on.

Either way, hybrids are the best, definitely keep them!

Are the GLW birds good egg layers?

I'll ask him if I can get better pictures of the "Buff Orpingtons/Red Stars/Red Sex links/Production Reds"

Golden comets ( Red sex links) - Thats my guess. I have 6 and all of them are the golden color with white accents.

Edited to add picture : They looked very similar to yours when they were younger!

85521_050911143753.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
X2 I'm no expert,but there looks like some BO's and a GLW in there.

hmmm they don't look anything like my BO's...mine never had the white on them

They look more like Red Stars

x2 not BO's but will lay great eggs for you!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom