!*! FREE chicks from IDEAL !*! You're not going to believe this!!!

Congrats on your chicks. I had a similar thing happen with Cackle hatchery. I ordered 100 cinnamon queen sex links but then called about 3 days later and canceled the order and placed a new order for 100 ameraucana (EEs actually) Well they sent me the invoice for the canceled order and a new invoice for the new order. I went to pick up what I thought was going to be 100 EEs but was astounded when the mail clerk just kept bringing out boxes. They sent both orders by mistake so I ended up with 107 free birds and 218 total birds.

Quote:
Wow! You get the prize...I think that beats ALL!
smile.png

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

How come you got so many boys?

I too hope you solved your preditor problem before you put your new layers and chicks out.

The hatcheries sent males for warmth. If you order just a few pullets they put in males so that they stay warm enough during shipment. They will probably end up on the dinner table and I will keep the best 2.

As far as the predator problem...no it is not fixed. I have a some chickens that refuse to go into their coop at night and they roost in the trees. I used to try to get them down and put them up every night but that got old and next to impossible. Now I just do that if it is going to be very cold or rain/icy.​

Quote:
Wow! You get the prize...I think that beats ALL!
smile.png

You would have thought I would have been crazy with happiness but in fact I was not prepared to take them. I had only set up enough brooders to handle 100 plus the few extras that they send. I was in a huge panic to get all the stuff together quickly. The only good thing is the outside temps were already in the 100s or I think I would have lost quite a few trying to get them all dipped and set up. I dipped beaks for a solid 30 minutes after I got the stuff together, cleaned and whatnot. I wasn't trying to win the prize for biggest mistake order
gig.gif

I would get the ones out of the trees and LOCK them in the coop with food and water for a couple of days So they know where home is.

I think it's so great that Ideal puts the baby boys in there. It is sad that most baby boys are killed by hatcheries. I think it's much better to give the boys a nice life (even if only until they get eaten for meat) rather than have them killed as babies. Whenever I order from a hatchery I put "straight run" for that reason. That's cool you got half and half too! It makes me happy thinking of the baby boys getting a good life.

Quote:
I fully agree. If you don't do this, than is almost like putting out a neon sign to the predators, IMO. I tried to cut mine (5 mo. olds) loose two days ago, and it was a nightmare getting them back in the coop, so I told them that they will have to wait until they are older before we try this again!

Congrats on your order! Ideal has always done me well, at least so far.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom