Free choice or not

Pics
No more of a hassle than feeding or caring for any animal. Cows get milked twice a day. Much livestock gets fed twice a day. So instead once a day chickens get fed and once a day food gets removed. Also gives you a moment to interact and check on their well being. Far and away better than putting up with feeding critters that feed you paid for.

Well, the original poster said they have to move the bulky feeder 2 times a day. I'm sure when full it could be heavy and maybe they physically find that a hassle. Yes, I agree that part of the fun of having chickens or any animals is to be interacting with them. I feed organic and that feed is very expensive when feeding a large flock but the return is well worth it. I certainly don't share it with anything not giving me a return or that will eventually eat or kill my investment.

And to answer the original question - we provide our chicken unlimited access to food 24X7, and let them free range in backyard. Keep in mind - I am a newbie. Not sure if that's the best, so far my hens look healthy and happy!

Mice will overrun your place if you don't at least attempt to control their numbers. Rodents often carry Leptospirosis, a nasty disease we can all share, not a good thing.
The chickens will kill and eat mice during the day, but not at night, so that's not helpful. If there weren't those mice, the chickens would eat that food the next day too.
By the time you see them, you likely have MANY!
Mary

Mice will overrun your place if you don't at least attempt to control their numbers. Rodents often carry Leptospirosis, a nasty disease we can all share, not a good thing.
The chickens will kill and eat mice during the day, but not at night, so that's not helpful. If there weren't those mice, the chickens would eat that food the next day too.
By the time you see them, you likely have MANY!
Mary
Exactly! Having mice is bad because of disease as well as they also attract snakes and other varmints. Some of those varmints also like to eat chickens and eggs. I HATE snakes so anything that attracts them needs to be gone or somewhat controlled. I've had such a hard time with mice and the cats seem to have them under control. The raccoons have been killed after they eliminated my other flock completely. I haven't seen any so far with the new coop and flock but I'm sure they will be back. M.r Judge and Mr. Remington are just waiting!

I've been careful with mice because I don't want the 'coons to chase one back to the coop. So far they haven't noticed it (there is a lot of easily available food for coons here).

I do not know if this has been said before. Why are people feeding chicken? They feed themselves. At Least they feed themselves here in Texico.
I live in town and the chickens have limited room to range. After awhile, the bugs are scanty. I feed the chickens to be sure they have adequate food and proper nourishment here in Texas.

Back
Top Bottom