Free choice or not

I leave feed out in their hanging metal feeder all the time. My chickens free range and come and go as they wish using an auto door. I have a new coop (14x24) but my older coop had a serious mouse problem. After dark it looked like the floor was moving when I'd open the door and turn on the light. I cured it with 3 cats! I'd put them in the coop at night and they would go out when the auto door opened in the AM. I'd estimate there were probably 50-70 mice when I started and in about 2 weeks I had none and some very fat cats! So far my new and improved coop has no mice that I've seen. The cats prefer being outside and just hang around the coop.

I agree with the many suggestions of getting your feeder off the ground. Moving it every night and morning has to be a hassle.

I agree with the many suggestions of getting your feeder off the ground. Moving it every night and morning has to be a hassle.
No more of a hassle than feeding or caring for any animal. Cows get milked twice a day. Much livestock gets fed twice a day. So instead once a day chickens get fed and once a day food gets removed. Also gives you a moment to interact and check on their well being. Far and away better than putting up with feeding critters that feed you paid for.

I do not know if this has been said before. Why are people feeding chicken? They feed themselves. At Least they feed themselves here in Texico.
Nice! But I'm in NJ. My uncle in Pennsylvania feeds his cattle even though they graze from sunrise to sunset. Those that can free range their flock obviously don't need to purchase as much feed but make it available to supplement for good nutrition. Heck I could let my dogs forage for food here with the woods surrounding us. I still feed them.

Nice! But I'm in NJ. My uncle in Pennsylvania feeds his cattle even though they graze from sunrise to sunset. Those that can free range their flock obviously don't need to purchase as much feed but make it available to supplement for good nutrition. Heck I could let my dogs forage for food here with the woods surrounding us. I still feed them.[/QUOTE]

No more of a hassle than feeding or caring for any animal. Cows get milked twice a day. Much livestock gets fed twice a day. So instead once a day chickens get fed and once a day food gets removed. Also gives you a moment to interact and check on their well being. Far and away better than putting up with feeding critters that feed you paid for.

Nice! But I'm in NJ. My uncle in Pennsylvania feeds his cattle even though they graze from sunrise to sunset. Those that can free range their flock obviously don't need to purchase as much feed but make it available to supplement for good nutrition. Heck I could let my dogs forage for food here with the woods surrounding us. I still feed them.
Yeah, the dogs make sure I am awake daily to feed them at 7A and 7PM. They still try to forage though. One swears she is a chicken and needs scratch, compost or anything else going to the chicken.

I throw a couple cups of feed into their run, along with any kitchen scraps from the previous day— I haven’t had a chicken attacked at night ever, but I have seen raccoons, opossums, cats and dogs eating what the chickens don’t. I don’t mind them as long as nothing touches my birds :confused:

I throw a couple cups of feed into their run, along with any kitchen scraps from the previous day— I haven’t had a chicken attacked at night ever, but I have seen raccoons, opossums, cats and dogs eating what the chickens don’t. I don’t mind them as long as nothing touches my birds :confused:

Oh but my birds are free ranged, so they’re always off somewhere eating something.

I do not know if this has been said before. Why are people feeding chicken? They feed themselves. At Least they feed themselves here in Texico.

Some places don't have warm weather all year long like South Texas for them to scratch up enough food so feeding is necessary. Unlike in the "olden days" where they had to totally fend for themselves, feeding them a good quality feed along with free ranging gives them a good diet to produce eggs and have strong & healthy chickens.

Oh but my birds are free ranged, so they’re always off somewhere eating something.

That's neat but from my experience I do everything I can to keep raccoons and other chicken-eating varmits at bay. Last year I lost my entire flock of 42 chickens in a 2 week period from raccoons. I managed to shoot 6 of them but by then it was too late. I'd NEVER purposely feed any animal that will eat my chickens or ducks.

Back
Top Bottom