Free crate

LadyAchee

Crowing
May 10, 2020
Liberty Hill, TX
Just got 3 free crates from a neighbor. I will be turning one into a new chick brooder. Pretty cool!
20220121_100817.jpg

Should I use the long one or the more square one for 12 chicks?

Just got 3 free crates from a neighbor. I will be turning one into a new chick brooder. Pretty cool! Should I use the long one or the more square one for 12 chicks?
I like reusing things. And free is good.

So may questions and possibilities. How old will those chicks be when you take them out? What will your weather be like when you are ready to take them out? Will you be brooding in your climate controlled house or somewhere else? Is your coop ready and do you already have chickens so integration is an issue. You don't need to answer any of these to me, they ae just logistics type things I think you should consider when deciding the details of how to do it.

I don't know how much bigger that other crate is. I'm thinking floor area more than height. I'd suggest getting the larger one and setting that up as your initial brooder. You could add to it as mentioned above either now or if space gets tight add another one to it later. That's a common approach for people that use a large appliance box for a brooder in their garage, if it gets full expand it buy taping in another box.

I would not use one of those little crates by itself initially, it would too quickly be too small. But two or three of them together gives you a lot more room, especially if you get the bigger one.

What I'm imagining is your combining them all into one brooder? Maybe this wasn't your original plan but it could work. Maybe if you cut large doors in all the little boxes, and a large door in the big box. Line up the doors and attach the boxes together. Would that work?
None of those small ones will be big enough by themselves. How big is the large one?

Chicks in the brooder are said to require 1/2 square foot each for the first 4 weeks, 1 square foot each from 4-8 weeks, and 2 square feet from 8-12 weeks.

I found that after the first week or so they are happy to use all of my big, 4x8 brooder. :)

This is my experience with a batch of a dozen: https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/24479134

Back
Top Bottom