Free flying Pets

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
I love doves and pigeons - of all kinds. I am fascinated watching their behaviour and interactions with each other - and the best part - they can fly freely around my garden - I never know what they will get up to next lol. I would like to share some pics I took today of my 'family'.

Polo (king pigeon) and Squeaky (I rescued and hand reared her when she was found as a chick).

Teddy (King pigeon)

Toffee (Old Dutch capuchin) His mate is black and white - but she was too camera shy - perhaps she was having a bad 'hair' day.

Snowball (king pigeon on her eggs). She will never hatch them as she is in a same sex pair with Teddy. I thought Teddy was a male. I got Polo for her, but she hates him. I guess I won't have any baby kings any time soon.

Tufty (rescued fantail dove that was found in the park nearly dead - she had very bad chest infection and was just skin and feathers - took her a lot time to get better with lots of trips to the vets, but she got there in the end).

Mocha - Male ring neck dove

Coconut - Mochas girlfriend.

Zebadee - hand reared zebra dove

Zee - Zebadees mate - he is a retired singing dove that did very well in competitions. I was hoping to breed from him and sell the young, but their eggs are always infertile. Maybe he is too old now.

Thanks every one. I agree they are not dirty birds at all.....

Mine are very clean. Each pair has its own dog crate with a mesh floor. All the poop falls through the mesh onto the dry sand in the try under the cage.

As its always dry all the poop dries up and there is no smell. About once a week I sieve all the sand the throw the dry poop away.

They also get to bath every day if they like, and so they are not dusty.

They live outside in the fresh air too. The cages under the eves of my house. I am luck to live in a warm climate.

The birds themselves keep spotlessly clean - never a mark on them.

They are no more dirty than any other bird - less messy than parrots and fruit eating birds like mynah birds. Also the poop does not stink like chicken poop can.

Back
Top Bottom