Free online tax filing??? Anyone know a good one?

My best friend had that issue. Her daughter lives with him full time and he provides all support. The only thing she supplies is a bad influence. She has serious problems. She filed a 1040A and claimed her. It added an extra 6 weeks on to my friends refund time because he had to prove he supported her for the whole year. She had to pay back the child tax credit with a fine attached.

I always use Turbo Tax. Works great. I have also filled out 1040's with all the attachments before. It is very tedious and easy to make a mistake on.

Quote:
I beg your pardon? You may have to fix some peoples because they don't understand how to follow instructions. I have used Turbo Tax for years. I started doing my own since finding errors when Jackson Hewitt did them two years in a row. The fact is they are only using software anyhow and I'm as smart or smarter than the people they hire.

I also read the newpaper and H & R block is noted for making mistakes. Perhaps not where you are but nationwide.

If one is doing a short form without mortgage interest and all that the IRS in some places will do them for free.

As for the exemption of the child that is according to who has legal custody and if the father does not and claims custody he will be in big do do with the IRS.

FYI the PO does not carry forms anymore and the public library doesn't carry all the forms but will make copies of the ones you may need. Or you can down load them yourself from the Gov. web site.

Hope we all get lots and lots of money.

Rancher

Best way to not wait for a return is to change your withholdings
wink.png
More money year round!

Quote:
As for the exemption of the child that is according to who has legal custody and if the father does not and claims custody he will be in big do do with the IRS.

IRS does not care who has custody.....they care who supported the child.

1) child must have lived with the claimer/filler for at least 6 months in the tax year they are claiming the child in

Even if the court orders....in a parenting plan or a divorce decree that a certain parent gets to claim the child.

It is still not allowed by the IRS if the child did not live with that person for a min. of 6 months in the year they are filling.

Lots of people have children and do not have court custody orders etc.

I agree too that turbo tax is the best and it is what I use too.

Quote:

1) child must have lived with the claimer/filler for at least 6 months in the tax year they are claiming the child in

Even if the court orders....in a parenting plan or a divorce decree that a certain parent gets to claim the child.

It is still not allowed by the IRS if the child did not live with that person for a min. of 6 months in the year they are filling.

Sorry your getting off the subject and anyone who does the taxes should know this. At my age I know these things.

Quote:

Sorry your getting off the subject and anyone who does the taxes should know this. At my age I know these things.

Hear hear, but they might not know this and just did not want anyone to be confused.

I have suggested turbotax to the op also.

Where you get the EZ form from though? Used to be able to get it from the post office...cant now.
hmm.png

This year I'm going to save my stuff to disc or something. I have had 2 hard drives crash on me over the last 6 years and I have to re-enter all the info. With 7 kids, its a pain in the rear.

I love the Turbo Tax though. The E-filing is great. Remember the ole days. Six weeks and the check always came on a Saturday. So every Saturday you would cross your fingers it was in the mailbox. I like the 2 week plan a lot better. I feel bad for people that used to make their money doing tax returns though. I know a lot of people still need an accountant, but I bet it's down a little.

I used Turbo Tax for a small business too.

Back
Top Bottom