FREE Pullet to a Good Home in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area, Ontario)

rivers2011

Songster
8 Years
May 12, 2011
Port Perry, ON
Please adopt this little chick if you can!
She is one month old and desperately needs to see a vet because of her broken toe. We bought her from the farmer's market two Saturdays ago thinking that it was just a minor cut, but after a week of trying to wash out the wound, I can finally see clearly that the bone has been severed and is clearly exposed. She will need to have that toe amputated, but I don't have the money to take her to a vet.
She is a Columbia Rock but may be crossed with another breed. She is also my prettiest little pullet and the most personable - she follows me around the yard and likes to perch on my shoulder and be petted on the chest.
I've contacted a few local animal rescue type operations and no one can take her because they're afraid of cross contamination issues, so really, adoption is her only hope.
If you can take her and get her the medical attention she needs, please contact me at [email protected]
Thanks very much!!!

p.s. I am located in Durham Region, but can deliver to the city of Toronto.

Wow, so to sum it all up; you're just trying to get someone else to pay for your chicken's medical fees. You probably should have known going into owning chickens that along the way, there are always going to be complications that cost you financially. My advice: don't try to tackle things that you won't be 100% dedicated to. Poor chickie.

Quote:
I think that she was just trying to get the chick to save it, not knowing that the chick needed to be seen by a vet. She thought the chick just had a cut instead of a broken toe. And now she is trying to do the right thing and find her a home with somebody that is able to give it the medical attention it needs. I dont think she was trying to get into something she couldnt handle. Just what I interpret by what she said in the post.

Quote:
Wow, that was pretty rude. What she is looking for is someone to give the help she can't give to the pullet. When you have animals of any kind, s*** happens. If the only people who owned animals were the ones with plenty of money to throw around, there would be a lot of loving homes with no animals.

To the OP: I wish I was closer to you, I would take her in a heartbeat. Can you put up a pic of her toe?

Last edited:
Umm...this is going to sound horrible to some people, but it sounds to me like this would be an easy home-amputation job. If the bone is clearly severed, as she said, then it's just skin holding it on, maybe a tendon. Some nice sharp scissors should do the trick. If you want to, get some spray on lidocaine to numb it a little. I know it sounds gruesome, but having worked at vet clinics and wildlife rehabs, thats what they would do in most cases. Its over quick and better than dragging a useless toe around to get infected and keep hurting every time it gets bumped or moved.
Now, my CYA - I havent seen it, I'm not a vet, I'm not advising anyone TO do that, I'm just saying it might be possible..

Quote:
Wow, that was pretty rude. What she is looking for is someone to give the help she can't give to the pullet. When you have animals of any kind, s*** happens. If the only people who owned animals were the ones with plenty of money to throw around, there would be a lot of loving homes with no animals.

To the OP: I wish I was closer to you, I would take her in a heartbeat. Can you put up a pic of her toe?

Sorry, rereading that, i did sound a bit rude. but its truly what i thought and still think. i've volunteered at animal shelters and you should see the awful owners that think having a pet is just like a toy; they don't think twice about the financial aspects. so as soon as a pet gets hurt or needs medical attention that costs money, then they give it up and become heartbroken for a little while, then go and get another pet. trust me, you have no idea how many people in this world are like that. what is the point of a loving home but not support? if you cant support for an animal (and not even support yourself) then dont get an animal, after a while, the animal ends up on the streets or in a shelter anyways. so the owner of the pullet BOUGHT the chicken so it was her/his choice. you dont need plenty of money to care for an animal, you just need to have enough to treat her/him as kind of a family member. you're supposed to be the guardian of the animal for goshsake! there are plenty of owners who CAN care for an animal (both with love and with money) and another solution is neutering and spraying. (maybe not to chickens...) by the way, getting a chicken's toe amputated isn't as pricey as a lot of other medical care.

Back
Top Bottom