Free range eggs to hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dragonchick, Nov 9, 2009.

1. dragonchick

dragonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    OK, I want to attempt hatching some eggs in my little LG Styrofoam incubator but don't want to spend a lot for what could be a non hatch. There is someone who lives close to me that sells free range eggs for $1.25 a dozen. Could I use these to try and hatch some out? As long as there is a rooster in the somewhere in the bunch they should be fertile, right? I know all the eggs will hatch out mutts and that's fine with me. I don't even care if all I hatch are cockerels cause I just want to try. Will this half thought idea work? Sometimes I put the cart before the horse in my disorganized thinking but I really want to try this. I have figured out how I can keep the chicks warm and out of the house after 4 weeks so that helps.

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Where do you live?

ETA: I'll bet there are BYCers that would give you eggs for the cost of postage.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    If the eggs are fertile, and they should be assuming there is a rooster or two present, get a dozen and hatch away. I would stop and ask the seller for fresh unwashed eggs, most will not care what you do with thier eggs, as long as you are buying them.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I would ask the seller if they are likely to be fertile. Since mine aren't laying yet, I buy my eggs from a guy with free-range chooks. He told me any time I want to hatch, just let him know, and he'll give me eggs that have not been refrigerated. I have bought dozens of eggs from him in the past few months and they are almost without exception fertile. However if you have any doubts about the potential fertility of the eggs you buy, why not buy a dozen to use in cooking and check them for fertility. If they are mostly fertile, go back and buy another dozen to incubate.

Edited to fix typo.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  5. NYCmadness

NYCmadness Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi, I have tried the same thing last summer and nothing hatched. I got the eggd from a farm nearby. I collected the eggs myself and followed all the instructions.
    it tourns out that the owner of the farm had one rooster for about 20 chickens, check with your farmer if they have a good number such as 1 rooster for 3-5 hens to ensue good fertility.
    Another tip would be to break one of the eggs and see if you see a disc of the developing embryo. Check for pictures here in the site. I did that.
    Having said that, I have read in the forun that people here have hatched store bought eggs!?
    Keep us posted!

6. dragonchick

dragonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I will give it a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by