Free-Range eggs vs. Store Bought eggs (Persuasive Argument Paper)

silkieluver_07

Songster
11 Years
Jan 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I just have to have the topic in for tommorrow. I want to write something about chickens of course.

Some of the ideas I came up with were why you should raise chickens/ the benefits, battery cage hens VS. free-range/organic, or cruelty of the birds in commercial farms.

Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.
smile.png
Such as links to websites or books.

Last edited:
There is a book we just got recently, "The Self Sufficient Farm". Talks about being self sufficient (go figure!) on just one acre. The chicken was very important in this ecological habitat as "the Gleaner". Chickens were used to clean up feed lot areas for larger animals, keep insect pests under control, and to even prepare the Fall garden for the next spring's garden planting. They also provide nitrogen rich fertilizer, eggs, meat and last but not least and "ALARM CLOCK!"

I am a big supporter of the Battery Hen Welfare Trust in the UK, check out their website for lots of information on battery hens, they rescue thousands of them each year.......battery hen - v - free range...no contest..... some the pics are upsetting.

www.bhwt.org.uk

Thanks again. I think I am going to write my paper on why chickens are beneficial to the community. Somewhere along those lines. It was very hard to pick between that and battery cages. Maybe I'll have to write two papers!

I told my teacher the topic I chose and he said that it didn't seem like a good topic for a persasive argument. What do you guys think?

Do you have any specific points that I should argue? I'm going to read the links you guys gave me more carefully to see if I an come up with anything.

It's probably because your topic sounds more like the topic for a report: "benefits of keeping chickens."

You need to come up with a strong thesis statement that you can both support and also discuss and defend against counterarguments (a strong persuasive essay always spends a bit of time -- at least a paragraph -- naming and confronting the opposing viewpoint).

What would be the thesis of your essay?

Indeed The chicken Lady. I'd start going through the chicken ordinances forum and see what kind of community news links you can get, then you can do a paper on why local government should allow the keeping of poultry inside city limits.

Back
Top Bottom