Free range forest

fairytailmama

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 29, 2014
I'm new here. We recently acquired some hens from a friend who was moving out of the country. This is our first time with our own chickens!
We live in a heavily forested 10 acres with lots of wildlife around. I've been nervous to let the ladies free-range unsupervised. They were city girls before they came to live with us but enjoyed a lot of free range time at their previous home. They seem so happy exploring but I worry when I can't be watching them. They have a 8x8 enclosed run. Just looking for some thoughts and wisdom. TIA!

What breeds are they?

Your best bet is to get a good Mediterranean breed or similar protective rooster or a couple donkeys to range with them

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 donkeys, trained dogs and roosters will protect your flock.

Glad you joined!:)

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

When you free range, you do have to except that you may lose a few birds along the way. So if you are really nervous about it, you might let them out with supervision. I have tons of predators lurking under bushes and in the skies. So I can't let my birds out unless I am there to watch them. Otherwise, they spend their day in the run. I have a large run, so at least they are not crammed in. Give them things to do in the run...mirrors, swings, ladders, ramps, hanging veggies, seed pecking blocks, toys...things to keep the occupied and interested in life.

Good luck and enjoy your new flock!

The problem is while your birds are free ranging so are all the predators a forested area can hold.

Chickens may learn to enjoy enclosed runs and they will be much safer in doing so.

Back
Top Bottom