Free Range Guinea Possible?

venymae

Prairie Wind
9 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Manhappiness, Kansas
My Coop
My Coop
I have a friend who told me Guinea will run away if allowed to free range? Is this true? Was wanting to put a flock out on my pops 2 acres which is surrounded by tall grass prairie for many miles

Guineas are world class free rangers. I've only ever had keets let out too young disappear. You will want to keep them cooped in for a while before free ranging - if you purchase them as eggs or chicks, keep them contained until at least 16 weeks, better yet 20-24, if you purchase them as juveniles or adults, keep them cooped in for 4-6 weeks. If you have any trees in the area, they will roost in them nightly; if not, or if they are Jumbos, they will sleep inside a coop.

Queen - reading your post... are you saying the jumbos are less likely to roost in the trees? I have 13 growing gunieas... I think a couple might be jumbos. I had intended to let them free range with access to their coop but if the jumbos don't fly up, I might have to relocate a fox I have in the yard. Hummmm...

Queen - reading your post... are you saying the jumbos are less likely to roost in the trees?  I have 13 growing gunieas... I think a couple might be jumbos.   I had intended to let them free range with access to their coop but if the jumbos don't fly up, I might have to relocate a fox I have in the yard.  Hummmm...

My Jumbos do not roost in trees. I have seen them fly 8 foot onto the top of my coop but they have never roosted in the trees 18-25' up like the others do. Maybe once or twice but not on a regular basis. The usually sleep on the middle roost inside the coop instead.

Back
Top Bottom