Free range hens could care less?

Coopcheney

Songster
May 21, 2023
New Jersey
My ladies get let out at 6am. I notice they go right to the grass and dig and never seem to care about the feed I provide…sure they eat from it but they seem to forage all day and when I give them grubs they absolutely love it but I get worried they won’t eat. This is my first flock and I was wondering if free range chickens don’t tend to eat as much or rely on me for food?

My ladies get let out at 6am. I notice they go right to the grass and dig and never seem to care about the feed I provide…sure they eat from it but they seem to forage all day and when I give them grubs they absolutely love it but I get worried they won’t eat. This is my first flock and I was wondering if free range chickens don’t tend to eat as much or rely on me for food?
How do they look/feel?

Do their feathers look shiny/healthy and robust? Or are they scraggly?

Can you pick them up?

If so, can you feel their keel bone sticking out?

Free range chickens tend to eat more, since they have a igher activity level than birds that are caged up all the time. But, that food may not come from you.

If they have a large area to range over, wriggly bugs may just be more exciting and satisfying than pellets.

I wouldn't worry about it. In the summer my free rangers ate very little of what I provided. As the weather changed they ate more and more of the food I suppled. I supplied whole grains all winter- wheat, corn, oats, sunflower seeds.

They have an acre to range on. They have fresh feed and i also provide scratch feed as a treat. They just love fruits and veggies too but they don’t go bonkers for the layer feed.

They have fresh feed and i also provide scratch feed as a treat. They just love fruits and veggies too but they don’t go bonkers for the layer feed.
Cut out giving them anything but the layer feed, other than letting them forage.

Did you just buy the feed or does the manufacturing date say that it is less them a couple months old?

Cut out giving them anything but the layer feed, other than letting them forage.

Did you just buy the feed or does the manufacturing date say that it is less them a couple months old?
I just bought the feed. I do give treats especially in this heat wave we have been having. Maybe I am giving them too much treats and they only want the food stuff. It’s my first flock and I’m afraid they will starve even though they have food and water daily.

They may find tastier things, but not necessarily a balanced diet.
Don't give them any grubs and keep them in gor a few hours in the morning so they eat. Is the feed fresh?
First thing in the morning I give grubs and scratch them I have the layer feed out too. The issue is I want to spoil them since they were in a bad situation before I adopted them and I want them to be happy and have a full belly….but I think maybe they are only wanting treats.

Back
Top Bottom