Free range to a huge chicken run

Coopcheney

Songster
May 21, 2023
New Jersey
Is it normal for my ladies to act like I put them in prison? I had a 60 foot long x 10 feet wide run made since they were getting stalked by hawks….but so far they seem pissed and annoyed. I completely understand from free ranging on an acre but I want them to be protected. Will they eventually get used to the run? I do let them out when I am outside with them. They squawk most of the day like let me out lady!!

They have perches and a dust bath. I am open to ideas on what I can put in there to help them have fun!
Can you post pictures?

I have a bench on its side, multiple height perches, a bucket with a lid on it, and a short table my hubs built for them. I also add mulch, leaves, weeds into the run, pile it up so they have fun digging through it. I have two feeders for heads of lettuce, herbs, and b nut squash, cucumbers.

Get them a Roo? 🤣 Prolly more his enjoyment than the girls. 🤣

Pff
I Am Dead Singing GIF by Paramount+

I had to do the same after a hawk attack killed a free ranging hen. The difference for me was that the flock saw the hen get killed. They didn’t want to go back out. That was 3 yrs ago. Now most of the flock is young enuf that they’ve never been out. I’ve added annexes to the run, with rotational capabilities, so that there is always something new to offer.
Yours will get used to it.

Back
Top Bottom