free range vs. not?

Have you seen pictures of the battery hens and their small cages? If you have a trio of hens, and put them in a coop with a run, they will be soooo much better off than the battery hens!!!!

You'll be one more person not supporting their cruel practices- good for you!!!
thumbsup.gif

I warn you though that once you fall in love with your peeps, you will most likely want to let them out for cuddles and exercise while you are watching them.
love.gif

Oh, and bantams eat and poo less than large fowl. But the eggs are smaller and they might go broody on you = no eggs.

I'm sure you'll do the perfect thing for your situation.

Our yard is pretty small (less that 1/8 acre) and we have a wood privacy fence around it, as well as a gate they could easily hop over if they chose to. We have a storage chest right next to the gate and they sit on it and eat the potted plant nearby. We've not lost a chicken yet. We also have 3 of our own cats, as well as 2 feral cats and neighbor cats in our neighborhood and have had no issues. Now we do have a 90 lb. lab who hangs out in the yard (when we are out with her) so maybe her scent is keeping them away. I was very worried at first but even my own cats avoid the back yard now that the chickens run it. The chickens get locked up in the coop at dusk - and we have it raised up so the run goes underneath. The run is about 10 x 4, and the coop is 4 x 4. But they don't spend a lot of time in it. Most of the day they are hanging around in the yard under shrubs and trees. Everyone's situation is different but once yours are grown, I'd consider letting them in the yard during the day. But as long as they have enough room and are clean & fed, they'll be happier than a lot of chickens out there.

This is how we did our coop & run (the left side is a small storage area for feed). I'd recommend against the green roof we did - it's become a chicken dust bath!

like every body else i agree it will not be cruel at all to keep them in a run without free range.
however i know someone who has a small yard with close neighbors and no fence. she lets her chickens out every evening to free range for a few minutes. this way they don't travel far off and they come right back to the coop after a bit when it gets dark. if you get large breeds they i don't think cats will be a big problem. ive seen cats in my yard i my chickens are still young only a few pounds but ive never had a problem. if you let them out for a few minutes you can watch over them and then coax them back in with some scratch. i also doubt a heavy breed would or could fly over that fence. eaither way even if they never free range they will be happy chickens
big_smile.png

Oh, by the way, in my earlier post I mentioned that the bantams go broody a lot. I realized when I lay down to sleep last night that this isn't true about all bantams. Sorry!!! I know I have read about some breeds on here that will NOT set on their eggs at all.

Oooopsie!!!!

roll.png

While I totally agree that it's perfectly fine to keep birds confined within an adequately sized coop 100% of the time (and they be perfectly spoiled, happy birds), I do think you'll find yourself WANTING to let them out on occasion. And with only 2-3 birds, they will be so use to you guys, that if you and your wife sit outside with them for 30 minutes (chicken TV is the best), they will be happy to explore your yard and hang out with you guys...especially if you keep treats with you.
smile.png

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

I would strongly suggest you get three, not two. Chickens are flock animals and very sociable amongst themselves. If you get only two and goodness forbid, something were to happen to one of them you'd be left with a very lonely chicken on your hands.

Uh ohhh... Do I see some infamous chicken math coming on? LOL!! Pretty soon they'll say they need 8 (like we ended up with after only wanting 3 or so). hehe...
lau.gif

foxyloxy is right
lol.png

everyone on here decides they will get 2-3 and then they end up with at least twice that.
i was planning on 2 hens, then it jumted to 4 hens and then i ended up geting 7 hens 1 goose and one duck

We went with 3 chicks* for the reason stated...if something happened to one of the girls we wouldn't have a lone hen. We bought a 4'x7' (outside dimensions) 'playhouse' from the local high school shop class, and are currently finishing it so the girls can move out of the garage. We elevated it about 2 ' off the ground and will be adding another 2 ' or so to one end as their run, so all together the run will be about 4' x 9' ... allowing just over 10sq ft/per bird, which is the recommended space on here.

* I already know I'd want more, but as they'll be ninja chickens (hiding from the law), I think we'll have to stay with just 3.
roll.png

watch out- we went to the feed store to get 3 chicks and they "threw one extra" in for FREE!!! So, how could I say no???

Now, of course, we have 9 total, our remodeled/expanded coop is quite a site!

A coop building lesson I wish I had learned BEFORE I built- ALWAYS build it bigger than you are thinking you'll neeed!!!!

Mary

I'm leaning toward agreeing with everyone else. I used to let my girls loose in the morning and close the door on them when the sun went down. Their run was more than ample size (400sqft) But I and the neighbor loved to see them just walking around out in the yard. I have lost 5 over the years free-ranging to dog and cat attacks. 3 at one time. It's a risk you take.

I downsized in chickens and am going with Bantams. Need the chainlink runs to build a safe area for my deaf puppy. Let the Sebrights out yesterday evening for a little bit of time. Only one that came back was the Ooops Bantam Cochin. I later found my roo asleep on the backporch. No idea how he got there. Need to finish remaking the "playhouse" coop and get them in there.

The other 3 girls showed back up this morning.

Back
Top Bottom