Free range. Won’t stay in yard

Penning the flock leader might work for a while. Other than that the only thing that I can think of is fencing.
That is very smart!! I think it’s our khaki drake that does the leading away so maybe trying to pen him up. I’m afraid now that they have wondered so much the others will do without him but im sure they will hang out whenever he is penned up

Realistically a fence is the only thing that will work. You might be able to get away with just fencing off the section where they typically get over into the other neighbors area.
Yeah I wish we could do that but where we believe they do over is by going downstream so wouldn’t be able to fence off in the creek. But thanks for the idea! That would be what we would try first if they were crossing in a different area

That is very smart!! I think it’s our khaki drake that does the leading away so maybe trying to pen him up. I’m afraid now that they have wondered so much the others will do without him but im sure they will hang out whenever he is penned up
You could then let him out later in the day or when you could control where they go.

So far my ducks have been good this year, but the geese love the mud puddle in the pothole across the street. The only way I've been able to stop them is with fencing. The 36" tall pound in white picket panels at the home improvement store work. They just walk right over the cheap wire rolls. My ducks have also gone under snow fencing, so make sure whatever you get is fairly snug to the ground.
That’s good! Our ducks were good for a while after we lost our mallard drake. He was the one that would do the venturing and others would follow. So they stuck home for a long time and now our khaki is ring leader and he’s starting to take after big brother

I have seen on BYC many members over the years tell how their ducks got ran over because they wouldn’t stay in their yard. For one thing ducks don’t know property lines they just waddle around and off if given the chance. Not only do they get hit by cars but dogs and other preds have a much easier time picking them off if they aren’t fenced. Mine would have been gone many years ago if not for fencing
Yes that is my biggest fear is something happening but I also don’t want to give them a poor set up. We have a beautiful creek and many acres for them. They are so good about getting locked I’m at night. I would just hate for them to not be able to roam about our land. It’s nice when they come say hi to us as well. I just wish there was a way to discourage them from leaving the yard

Fence or don't free range... mine are *usually* good but recently wandered into the woods next to me so they got locked up for a day or so. I try to keep them out of the woods when I see them going that way and provide fun and snacks where I want them. But sometimes, they just want to get into trouble (or so it seems)! So I just keep them penned up for a bit.
Trying to find a happy medium. Our younger ones don’t venture at all. They have so much room here. I feel like since they are somewhat easily conditioned/ trained there should be a method or way to discourage them from leaving our property

You could then let him out later in the day or when you could control where they go.
So the mornings or when they first get let out isn’t the problem. They all stick together for mating purposes and stick to the creek. They can go all day without leaving and then the next day they will be there one minute and gone the next. Or you’ll look at and not see them and know they are gone and 30 seconds later they are back. I really question how much they are going down there but I have see them in the culvert and my neighbor isn’t making it up. It’s hard because I can’t sit and watch them all day long despite how much I want to. Plus I don’t want them penned up all day because our “coop” is currently a stall in our barn bc our duck house isn’t large enough with our latest additions

Main question: how to get ducks to stay in yard?

Don’t need to read but extra info-
We have 18 wonderful ducks. They get locked up at night, completely trained to go in at dusk on their own. Will even come when called if have to lock up early. Super friendly, will eat out of your hand and some will let you pet them. Like all flocks we do have cliques. We have a clique of 8 and a clique of 10. There’s smaller cliques within but when venturing around yard if they aren’t altogether that’s how they split off. Our clique of 10 stays in our yard. They will go up streak or down stream but haven’t seen them go much further than tha. Our clique of 8 however will go across the road to the neighbors and will also venture so far down stream they hit a culvert then will wonder into our neighbor on the other side. Might you we have a lot of woods between so it’s not like they are just going yard to yard. We are a corner lot so we only have our one next door neighbor with the woods between us then we have the neighbor across the road. For starters we are concerned with them being hit that’s the biggest concern. Our neighbor across the road hasn’t seemed to mind his visitors much but he is friends with our other neighbor and he just gave us a heads up that they have been wondering so how I took it is the other guy might not like them so much. Which is totally fine!!

Sorry for all irrelevant info but what I’m looking for is how you get your ducks to stay in your own yard if free range.
Electric net fencing. You can get in white or less obtrusive green from Premier 1 Fencing. Neighbors will always find a way to have something to bitch about, but ours shoot anything on their property.

Electric net fencing. You can get in white or less obtrusive green from Premier 1 Fencing. Neighbors will always find a way to have something to bitch about, but ours shoot anything on their property.
That’s true! Ours are so friendly. Everyone that meets them falls in love. Idk how anyone would complain about them visiting. That being said I’m sure if a neighbor had an animal coming to our property maybe I wouldn’t be happy about it… well currently trying to think of an animal a neighbor could own that I wouldn’t like and I can’t come up with one lol

. Idk how anyone would complain about them visiting. That being said I’m sure if a neighbor had an animal coming to our property maybe I wouldn’t be happy about it… well currently trying to think of an animal a neighbor could own that I wouldn’t like and I can’t come up with one lol
😬 I love ducks but I sure as heck do not want anyone else's ducks but mine on my property. They poop everywhere and root around and can make a quick disaster of gardens.
Just remember, just because you wouldn't mind someone else's animal on your property doesn't mean your neighbors complaints aren't valid. ♥️

Back
Top Bottom