"Free Range"

As a postscript, tractors are whatever size you need, I made mine out of pvc and chicken wire. the size I made is a little small for them now (9 layers), but was perfect while they were growing. I would gladly share my plans if you like, just send me your e-mail.

Backyard Bob,

Where are you located?

How many acres are available for birds to free-range?

What does that acreage look like with respect to plant cover? Pictures?

How many birds desired?

What products desired? (eggs / meat / both eggs and meat / entertainment)

You will not be able to get by keeping confined birds of any number without a lot of supplmental feeding. Fencing may not be the end all for predator management and your estimate for run construction appears way too low.

I'm located In southern Oklahoma with 160 acres of pasture and timber. I will get you pictures when I can!

I am wanting about 15 hens and 2 roosters. My main thing is eggs, but will be doing meat in the future. I am thinking of getting RIRs and Leghorns. Maybe crossing the two?

This is not my first time with chickens. But I would not say I am an expert by any means.
Thank you for all of your replys.

Some people have the games because they are quick and can avoid danger-- just a thought. THey are different than the dual purpose in temperatment, not calm for what I understand. Maybe if you have predator problems, they might be the way to go.

Otherwise I know my roosters keep an eye out, so I have a number of them on the job.

Buckeyes?? Exlt on the meat and good on the eggs. Might work better than cross the leghorn and the other breed. Buckeyes have a smaller comb too-- leghornss have a very large single combs and that can need some management.

Sounds like the birds will hae a wonderful area to cruise and scratch!!

Buckeyes are a good option as might be something like American dominiques. We realized dual purpose with games and they handled the free range component very well. My games are not flighty but will get up and go if motivated by a predator. The flightiness with most games is very much a function of husbandry. If you have livestock of any sort, a dog outside with stock and poultry things will work much better. With a 15 bird flock they will likely cover less than 4 acres during the course of a day and you can tighten that up with carefull use of small amounts scratch or some other feed. Bulk of nutrition can be realized by foraging but winter months in particular you will have to spend a bit on feed but you may be a able to go a month on a 50 lb bag of feed.

Arielle- Although, I have heard with games, you have to hunt for their eggs. I have heard they do not go into nesting boxes. I have had leghorns before and never had any trouble with their combs. But, I will take that into consideration!

centrarchid- Do the games lay eggs in the nest? I am aware I will have to feed in the winter, I will set money back for that!

Arielle- Although, I have heard with games, you have to hunt for their eggs. I have heard they do not go into nesting boxes. I have had leghorns before and never had any trouble with their combs. But, I will take that into consideration!

centrarchid- Do the games lay eggs in the nest? I am aware I will have to feed in the winter, I will set money back for that!
We kept many of our games as laying pullets in a henhouse where they did lay eggs in nest boxes provided. We consumed all those eggs from first year layers. When we collected eggs of free-ranging games for consumption they would also lay in relatively predictable locations although they were prone to move to another location when you keep taking eggs. We tried to keep track of those locations and provided quality locations we could get to easily. Only problem was when hens layed in loft of barn and hid nest among hay ables. You can still get most of the eggs produced and some hens keep laying in same location.

For us, free-range life did not suite leghorns well.

Back
Top Bottom