"Free Range"

Runs that are 10 square feet per chicken are the standard here for outdoor space. Those runs are bare of vegetation. Chicken yards with 100 square per bird feet usually only have limited amounts of green on them, especially in bad growing conditions. Depending on the climate 1000 square feet per bird may be needed to provide a large part of their needs. Certainly the space your planning on, is a place to start at. Watch and think on expanding their range if necessary. Plan on feeding them if the conditions, say winter, isn't providing enough.

My chickens have the run of the lawn and edge of the woods (they love scratching in the leaves) during good weather and they eat very little feed. Right now with snow and temps in the 20's, and the hawks looking for a free meal, they can't go out as much so they eat about 2 scoops of feed a day. I have 9 layers of different breeds. I had 10 but those hawks I was talking about got one of my turkins.

I think 50' x 25' would work well for your 17 chickens. I find in summer that my 20 chickens free range over 1/4 an acre barely touch the pelleted feed I put out. In winter it's what they eat for the most part along with some wild bird seed and hay.

Thank you for all of your answers! I'm going to talk with my family later on today an we will discuss this! Is there any way I can order 6week old birds?

You could also build a chicken tractor so you could just move it to another area every so often.

Have you thought of using electric fencing??

I would start with just a few chicks this year to see what the land can handle. I'm looking to improve my land before I add more chickens.

You can add more birds later when you can see how well the land holds up. Less is a batter way to start as once the land is destroyed, it is hard to regrass it when the girls are running on it.

Been there . . .

i have five birds that range over 1 1/2 acre. i give them free choice feed & scratch which they eat in the evening. i also supplement w/dried mealworms when the weather is particularly cold just to help them keep their body heat up. during the winter the bug population is obviously very low & so is vegetation. they are going through feed very slowly. i think that will slow down even more once spring gets cranked up.

Back
Top Bottom