Free ranging chicks

My cat was a cold-blooded killer of rodents through rabbits but didn't bother the chickens at any age. However, there are plenty of folks on BYC who have had losses from cats. Aside from your cats, chicks that age are vulnerable to a variety of other predators including things like hawks that are difficult to protect against. The question isn't really whether we think your cats will harm them, it's whether you think so and how you'd view such losses. That's how you decide.

I put mine in a dog play yard. I wouldn’t call it free ranging but they were able to eat some grass and enjoy the sunshine.
Chicks sunbathing are hilarious :lol:
I always babysit them when they’re out there because the play yard is only 3 feet tall and open at the top.
06901DD8-7D0E-4A84-9DF1-25C478B8E627.jpeg

I also put them in our prefab coops run because it’s completely enclosed.
But only after the big girls are done laying.
Our new coop isn’t quite finished yet.
962C9481-E0BD-4159-8E60-3F4007A2AC90.jpeg

Most cats I trust with even 5 week old chicks. Yet I have had experiences with cats that killed chickens far larger. You need to vet cats by observing them. Cats that are going to be a problem show interest in chickens immediately.

We have 1 cat that bats mice and things around but never kills them. One cat is a manx and grabs rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels, mice and even eyes our full grown chickens. The other 3 only grab things when hungry.

Out of 8 cats, varying ages, I have one, 13 mos old, that likes to chase the 4 mo. old Roosters. The Roos haven't grown much so I worry I may have some Minis? Are there such a thing? Anyway, Most of my cats, Love bugs most of the time, avoid the chickens. I try to keep an equine syringe, full of water, handy. Better aim, better deterrent...:lol::p
The chickens are completely free range, no coop. Boxes of straw in various places for laying.

Back
Top Bottom