Free Ranging

ejtin2918

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2023
I have 19 older less then 2yrs and 21 baby chicks. Is it bad that I let them all free range on my 3 acres that’s fenced in? Also I have gradually blended my flock and they all are nice to one another considering I have a few x small, small, medium and 1 large. I have some chicks that were hatchery and home grown so is it safe to move these chics to the smaller coop outside once my chicks turn 7 wks old can I move them in with the other chicks? Or separate all together? The momma doesn’t free range past 6 feet from their coop.

Last edited:
I have 19 older less then 2yrs and 21 baby chicks. Is it bad that I let them all free range on my 3 acres that’s fenced in? Also I have gradually blended my flock and they all are nice to one another considering I have a few x small, small, medium and 1 large. I have some chicks that were hatchery and home grown so is it safe to move these chics to the smaller coop outside once my chicks turn 7 wks old can I move them in with the other chicks? Or separate all together? The momma doesn’t free range past 6 feet from their coop.
That was a lot of words and not a lot of punctuation, so I hope I am following.

Ultimately, it is up to each keeper to determine their risk tolerance with ranging vs. confinement and find the balance that works for them. Are you currently ranging the 19 older chickens on that 3 acres? If you are asking about integrating the younger birds with the existing flock, whether you plan to use a smaller additional coop for the younger birds, or house them all together, they may need a certain level of coop training so they know where you want them to go in at night. As far as personalities or conflicts, it sounds like you know how to take the time and observe to see how integration is going before the transition is complete.

How big are your coops? How many chicks are with the broody vs. in the brooder? Where are the broody and her chicks currently housed? Sexes and breeds? We can give a lot more insight if you are able to give a little more clear picture of what is going on with your flock, and what aspects of integration you are actually asking about.

Ultimately, it is up to each keeper to determine their risk tolerance with ranging vs. confinement and find the balance that works for them. Are you currently ranging the 19 older chickens on that 3 acres? If you are asking about integrating the younger birds with the existing flock, whether you plan to use a smaller additional coop for the younger birds, or house them all together, they may need a certain level of coop training so they know where you want them to go in at night. As far as personalities or conflicts, it sounds like you know how to take the time and observe to see how integration is going before the transition is complete.

How big are your coops? How many chicks are with the broody vs. in the brooder? Where are the broody and her chicks currently housed? Sexes and breeds? We can give a lot more insight if you are able to give a little more clear picture of what is going on with your flock, and what aspects of integration you are actually asking about.

How big are your coops? How many chicks are with the broody vs. in the brooder? Where are the broody and her chicks currently housed? Sexes and breeds? We can give a lot more insight if you are able to give a little more clear picture of what is going on with your flock, and what aspects of integration you are actually asking

I have the broody and her chicks in their own little coop inside the run in between the two coops. I just leave the door open and let them decide where they want to be. I’m sorry my father gave me my first 12 as a house warming gift. The last 3 were silkie chickens and didn’t know till months later. I think I’m just stressing out bc I want all my chicks to be healthy and get along. I still have weeks till my silkies will be ready. I guess I’ll just take the learning experience and find out for myself.

Last edited:
I have the broody and her chicks in their own little coop inside the run in between the two coops. I just leave the door open and let them decide where they want to be. I’m sorry my father gave me my first 12 as a housekeeper warming gift. The last 3 were silkie chickens and didn’t know till months later. I think I’m just stressing out bc I want all my chicks to be healthy and get along. I still have weeks till my silkies will be ready. I guess I’ll just take the learning experience and find out for myself.
Ok I have 16 in the brooder and 5 with the broody and they were all born 5-22 and not after 5-26. I have another silkie sitting on 5 of her own and she’s gonna hatch today or tomorrow. Also my first all black silkie hen keeps going broody and I’ve decided I’m only gonna let her sit on one egg. Lol she just wants her own baby chick she’s jealous of her buddy.

Ok I have 16 in the brooder and 5 with the broody and they were all born 5-22 and not after 5-26. I have another silkie sitting on 5 of her own and she’s gonna hatch today or tomorrow. Also my first all black silkie hen keeps going broody and I’ve decided I’m only gonna let her sit on one egg. Lol she just wants her own baby chick she’s jealous of her buddy.
Aww, well I don't know too much about silkies, but that all sounds like fun! You'll have to post some broody/chick pics for us to enjoy. :)

89D5A6A5-8A16-4452-85F2-1D5F0EF642B8.jpeg

Just let them all outside together. I have a ton of different ages and breeds randomly wandering around my land and beyond
Dad, mom and babies.jpg

Excuse the mess. Something knocked over a feed bin

@BastyPutt Would you care to share some of your experience with free ranging your mixed flock, broodies and chicks?
A few pointers -
- trust no hen or rooster around chicks that aren't theirs in a confined space. It only takes a second for one to snap and kill day olds. When on pasture, no worries at all. Everyone is preoccupied.

- we only allow a hen to mother 4 chicks while free ranging. She can easily defend them against something like a feral cat. When you have something like 8 chicks they scatter like crazy, she scatters and more end up lost and vulnerable.

- lastly, we have brooding suites where the mamas and babies sleep at night, when the exception of one mama who sleeps safely under blue spruces. We usually allow them in brooder suites until the chicks are body feathered. Then they move out.

Back
Top Bottom