Free-ranging In Winter?

While I'm a "southerner" by comparison to you Wyoming and Canada folks, we do get down to zero and some snow here on the Kansas plains. For mine I think it's less about the temps than it is the lack of appeal for what chickens like to do that keeps them mostly in the coop during cold days. Mine detest snow and almost always stay in the coop on those days. But even on frigid days without snow on the ground, there really isn't as much interest in scratching around - I think they instinctively understand pickings are slim so they just don't make as much of an effort. Of course I supplement their winter of being cooped up with extra scratch and treats.
Buy an Alfalfa bale and put out a flake...Mine go crazy pecking and kicking it all over...Gives them the feeling of foraging...I hid Raisins and scratch in it...

I keep the feed outside near patches of cover.

Free-ranging during winter can be a tad riskier as the birds are easier to see from a distance and alternative prey sources for raptors have either moved south or are in the process of being depleted making chickens more prominent. When snow cover is deep the small mammal prey base is harder to catch as well making critters that do not burrow more attractive. My birds can fly very well yet if cover is not sufficient they will usually get cleaned up during the course of a winter when more series predator management are not in put in place. Simply killing predators will not be a practical option if you have a day job.

I keep their food and water in the run, I want them using it out there rather than in the closer confines of the coopl I also don't like the extra humidity that seems to happen when the watering containers are in the coop.. The only reason I want them in the coop is for roosting and laying eggs in the nests, and we maintain that practice spring, summer, fall and during the winter.

My feed is always in the coop and water only in the coop in winter months as I use a heated dog bowl for their watering then. Most of the winter here there is no snow, so ranging is mostly to glean the clover and grasses that remain along with fruit, acorns and seeds that can still be found here and there. But, even in snow there can be found opportunities for ranging. I've never had a chicken taken by a predator while ranging during the winter for the past 40 yrs of free ranging birds, so not a real common thing to have them taken during that time....had some half grown chicks taken in the late fall by migratory birds but never when snow is on.

I live in Alberta, Canada...Brrrrr! Our winters get very cold with lots of snow...I confine my hens to the coop and run for the most part.
On warmer winter days I do let them out...First I shovel a nice size spot for them and little trails for them to walk on...They enjoy the time outside of the run...

Cheers

I live in Michigan and I do the same with my chickens, except I leave the gate to the run open all the time so if they want out they can.

My feed is always in the coop and water only in the coop in winter months as I use a heated dog bowl for their watering then. Most of the winter here there is no snow, so ranging is mostly to glean the clover and grasses that remain along with fruit, acorns and seeds that can still be found here and there. But, even in snow there can be found opportunities for ranging. I've never had a chicken taken by a predator while ranging during the winter for the past 40 yrs of free ranging birds, so not a real common thing to have them taken during that time....had some half grown chicks taken in the late fall by migratory birds but never when snow is on.
What breeds? They look similar to two of my Amber links that have no Amber on them

My feeders and waterers depend on which coop.

the main coop is large, a walk-in. Feed inside the coop, to keep it dry. Water outside, cause of the duck and the wet.

Breeding pens are open aviary style, so feed and water just in the pen.

Misc coops are smaller raised style, no space in the coop for feeders or waterers. So they're in the attached runs.

Back
Top Bottom