Free ranging owners

Thank you! I don't own it, merely rent it...at a reasonable rate, I might add. I'll let you know when we move out?
big_smile.png

Here's the house:

5_imported_photos_00004.jpg

And one of the 15 apple trees of varied kinds...they produced a bumper crop this year.

5_varied_pics_of_dogs_chickens_kids_horses_141.jpg

The ice storms look like this:

5508_mountain_trip_018.jpg

And this:

5_mountain_trip_072.jpg

Sorry....couldn't resist! I LOVE this place!!!

When I drive to work I get to see this:

6459_dewley_and_wedding_024.jpg

And this:

5_pics_of_home_007.jpg

1 dozen chickens on 3.5 acres but we like them to stay in the front 2 acres. Used to be coyotes out back, haven't seen nor heard any in months but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. The hens like to be down by the barn or in the carport during rain or under the front porch with the mastiffs in the summer.

Quote:
I love the 2 dogs laying so nonchalantly areound the flock! After reading so many stories of 'my dog killed my chickens', I'm wondering what are good breeds that will watch over chickens and not bother them. Is there such a thing as a flock protector type dog? One looks like a yellow lab? I thought Labs are bird dogs? lol

Quote:
Ever heard of the term "LGD" ?
wink.png

Livestock Guardian Dogs are a group of breeds bred specifically for that. . . . They spend all day outside, lay around most of the time, and watch over the flock. Whether it be geese, chickens, ducks, goats, sheep, cattle - You name it. They will take in the animals as family, and chase off, bark at, or guard against any predator. They'll even look out for flying ones.

Such breeds include Great Pyrenese, Anatolian Shepards, Kangals, and several others that don't come to mind at the moment.

A bird dog is a dog that chases down and fetches birds when hunting.
wink.png

Last edited:
Liamm, my rent is $375!
big_smile.png
And that white dog you saw is part Great Pyr and part Lab. The chocolate one is part Lab, part Border Collie. One was a natural guardian dog and the other only took one part of a day to train and has been totally trustworthy these past 4-5 years now.

Great dogs with chickens and sheep!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom