Free ranging problem with neighbor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with ya, Girlfriend! (But I believe it is Parenting 101 to teach the little rug rats that poop is not a good thing to play with! But then again, we raised our children a long time ago and things may have changed?)
:thumbsup
Nobody is saying it’s okay to play in poop. But it’s not on the kids to deal with this situation. Have you ever stepped on poop because you didn’t see it? It’s not about the kids intentionally picking up a turd to chew on.

Here's my long story:

I've made the same mistake with my chickens. The neighbor next to me has an empty field about two normal sized lots between the fence and his house, which the chickens love to search through. Luckily the one time I asked he said it was fine with them being there. So until he says otherwise I just make sure they aren't getting too close to his house. I got a little complacent after that conversation.

Across the road from me is a problem. I had no idea my chickens were crossing until one time I saw them basically at my neighbor's front door. I called them back and then laughed about it. I didn't realize they had been doing that regularly until I got a very angry voicemail. I had never spoken to them and was very intimidated so I didn't go talk to them then (I regret this now.)
I tried many solutions but the best one for me was bird net. I got a 7ft tall 100ft roll and hung it across the lawn from the fence to the house. It worked better than my fence since they couldn't fly to the top, and the bottom caught on the grass so they couldn't find a way under.
Anyway every once in a while I had to take it down for some reason or one of the chickens was particularly clever and got out. I didn't know it was happening, but again they were going to the neighbor's house and messing up their front garden. After another message from them, I finally went over to talk. They were extremely nice in person. Basically they just asked me to keep the chickens away, but if they did get into their lawn, help them clean up any mess. It was a very relieving conversation.

I always wondered what was drawing them to cross the street on that side, into that lawn all the time. Then I was talking to their next door neighbor and she mentioned she loves to toss them treats over her fence, which is straight into the neighbor's lawn! Hilarious. I need a sign that says, "Don't feed the chickens!" or "Feed a chicken once, and she will never leave you."

Moral of the story: Talk to your neighbor in person. I don't know what your set-up/lawn looks like, but I personally prefer putting up a barrier rather than making a run. One side is easier than four sides, lol. If you post pictures of your area, I'm sure we could brainstorm a solution.

Alex, "why did the chicken cross the road" for 1000... :lau

OK, I think we need to get back to the original topic. How about some ideas as to the minimum amount of room that a flock of x size needs in a run? The OP will need to build a run, and I'd like to know, too.

I'm with ya, Girlfriend! (But I believe it is Parenting 101 to teach the little rug rats that poop is not a good thing to play with! But then again, we raised our children a long time ago and things may have changed?)
:thumbsup
I don’t “let my children play in poop”. But one is 4 and one is 18 months. It gets on their shoes which tracks into their playset where we play all the time. It gets on the soccer ball when we play soccer. My 18 month old falls down quite often. A problem I wouldn’t have if my neighbor kept their chickens out of my yard. So thanks.

It feels more frustrating than anything else because they don’t actually do anything over there except eat bugs. She doesn’t have a garden in any form- it’s just a lawn.
You say it’s just a lawn, but it’s not your lawn. They are pooping all over the neighbors lawn & given enough time, they will scratch all the grass up. I know you don’t want to hear this, but you are being a bad neighbor. Take responsibility for your animals or don’t have any. I’m with Red Dog on this, fix the problem & ask the neighbor for forgiveness.

Well! Lol.

As the original poster yes I am very aware of property rights. I am also aware that their elderly dog wanders into our yard because they don’t have a fence and just let their dog out. Also- both of her teenage children play with my chickens. And yes once again I understand property rights.

I have been keeping my chickens in the run more. In fact they are in there as I speak. My bf and I have been talking about how we can expand the run. But it’s not gonna happen till spring.And I have thought maybe if I give her some eggs she won’t care so much But I should go talk to her face to face. It’s not a big run because we did not intend them to be in there all day. I have included a picture. We transformed a playscape to a chicken coop this past spring...
34CB7B9E-A17D-40E0-B607-1CB7837057F2.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom