Free ranging pros and cons?

I have been raising chickens for about a year and have not had any issues with my eggs. I recently decided to let them free range in my yard. It was just a few weeks later and I started to get fragile egg shells. Thin and easily damaged. I realized that they weren't getting the calcium that they needed. I returned them to the coop and run and upped the calcium and the eggs got better. I think I discovered that when free ranging your chickens you need to make sure they have access to the nutrients they need, including proteins and calcium . Mine spent to much time feeding on the grass and whatever else they could find, but they weren't getting what they needed. Hope my recent experience helps

I have been raising chickens for about a year and have not had any issues with my eggs. I recently decided to let them free range in my yard. It was just a few weeks later and I started to get fragile egg shells. Thin and easily damaged. I realized that they weren't getting the calcium that they needed. I returned them to the coop and run and upped the calcium and the eggs got better. I think I discovered that when free ranging your chickens you need to make sure they have access to the nutrients they need, including proteins and calcium . Mine spent to much time feeding on the grass and whatever else they could find, but they weren't getting what they needed. Hope my recent experience helps

I have just the opposite thing happen with my flocks. In the winter when they don't have the green forage the shells thin out a bit from just having layer mash, but when they finally get the new clover and such in the spring the eggs increase in size and quality, with bigger yolks and stronger shells. That's when consumption of layer ration falls off to nearly nothing as the superior nutrition out on pasture trumps the minor contribution of the formulated grain based feeds.

Could be the type of grass and bugs you have in your yard are lacking in nutrition enough to support a free range flock. There's a thread about planting different types of grasses and legumes in your pasture/lawn to increase total nutrition on free range that could help you. Also creating areas where different bugs, grubs, worms, snakes, lizards and frogs like to live can help you round out more sources of nutrition.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ur-yard-for-increasing-free-ranging-nutrition

This link will help you determine the relative nutritive values of the grasses that may already exist in your yard...note the calcium levels in green forage, particularly legumes, is not only higher than what exists in your layer rations but is also in a form that is easier to absorb and utilize.

White clover alone has more calcium than all the other pasture grasses and legumes.

http://www.feedipedia.org/node/245

Last edited:
This link will help you determine the relative nutritive values of the grasses that may already exist in your yard...note the calcium levels in green forage, particularly legumes, is not only higher than what exists in your layer rations but is also in a form that is easier to absorb and utilize.

White clover alone has more calcium than all the other pasture grasses and legumes.

http://www.feedipedia.org/node/245
[/quote]

I have not gotten brave enough to let my 8 week old chicks out out to free range yet, partly because I have a problem with a neighbors dog bothering the free range chickens left on the property by my landlord.
But I have been picking clover from the yard every day for them for about a month now. I read somewhere a list of things safe for them and as soon as I read it, I ran out and picked them some. There's not much green in their run, they ate it up so quickly, so every day I pick two huge handfuls of clover for them and they go crazy. But you mentioned white clover. How is that different? I'm just picking the clover that grows as a weed in our yard here in Southwest Texas. And my chickens adore it. It's the only thing I've been able to hand feed them. Store bought seeds and such, they will eat, a few will eat from my hand, but the clover!! Oh, my, I have to do crowd control and try to see that everyone gets a share!!
I would plant clover for them if I knew a certain kind was good for them. I know they'd love it!

Now, let me play the devil's advocate here... First, let it be said that i think chickens benefit greatly from being able to free range... and access to all the white clover and any other plant they will eat... except for my garden... is a wonderful thing for them, for my yard, and for my wallet. Now, here comes the devil's advocate part: IF a lot of plants are high in calcium, and it is better absorbed than the minerals in the layer ration... and if chicks obviously crave those high calcium plants, why are we so greatly concerned about not letting them have layer ration? Could it be that calcium is not really the chick enemy that we're told that it is, merely the delivery via solid mineral form, or perhaps it's not a problem at all. Follow up question: If our yards have such an abundance of free readily absorbed calcium, why are we (those of us who have free range available) spending money on chicken feed that has a pile of granite dust in it (or what ever the calcium supplement is)???

Last fall, after seeing the mineral sludge in every bucket of FF, i decided that i would no longer buy layer feed. My girls get supplemental oyster shells, as well as all egg shells fed back to them. I noticed that as soon as they had green forage available, they stopped consuming the oyster shells. A further little bunny trail for the brain to work on: If vegetative calcium is better absorbed than the mineral additive, why not supplement with sprouts or dried plant material in the winter?

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Now, let me play the devil's advocate here... First, let it be said that i think chickens benefit greatly from being able to free range... and access to all the white clover and any other plant they will eat... except for my garden... is a wonderful thing for them, for my yard, and for my wallet.  Now, here comes the devil's advocate part:  IF a lot of plants are high in calcium, and it is better absorbed than the minerals in the layer ration... and if chicks obviously crave those high calcium plants, why are we so greatly concerned about not letting them have layer ration?  Could it be that calcium is not really the chick enemy that we're told that it is, merely the delivery via solid mineral form, or perhaps it's not a problem at all.  Follow up question:  If our yards have such an abundance of free readily absorbed calcium, why are we (those of us who have free range available) spending money on chicken feed that has a pile of granite dust in it (or what ever the calcium supplement is)???

Last fall, after seeing the mineral sludge in every bucket of FF, i decided that i would no longer buy layer feed.  My girls get supplemental oyster shells, as well as all egg shells fed back to them.  I noticed that as soon as they had green forage available, they stopped consuming the oyster shells.  A further little bunny trail for the brain to work on:  If vegetative calcium is better absorbed than the mineral additive, why not supplement with sprouts or dried plant material in the winter?  

Now THIS is what I'm talking about.......someone who thinks outside the box. Not stuck on what science and everyone else just parrots. Some good points brought up LAZY. Real life experience and actual time spent with fowl will show a lot of what is written in books and sites like this is false. When I get time and can formulate my thoughts I will delve into some of the well thought out reasonings you have brought up.

Great observation and deduction TN. You are correct in your findings. This is just one reason why cooped up fowl can have better nutrition than free ranged. We must never make the assumption that "all natural" is more healthier. In some instances the opposite has proven true. More later.

Now, let me play the devil's advocate here... First, let it be said that i think chickens benefit greatly from being able to free range... and access to all the white clover and any other plant they will eat... except for my garden... is a wonderful thing for them, for my yard, and for my wallet. Now, here comes the devil's advocate part: IF a lot of plants are high in calcium, and it is better absorbed than the minerals in the layer ration... and if chicks obviously crave those high calcium plants, why are we so greatly concerned about not letting them have layer ration? Could it be that calcium is not really the chick enemy that we're told that it is, merely the delivery via solid mineral form, or perhaps it's not a problem at all. Follow up question: If our yards have such an abundance of free readily absorbed calcium, why are we (those of us who have free range available) spending money on chicken feed that has a pile of granite dust in it (or what ever the calcium supplement is)???

Last fall, after seeing the mineral sludge in every bucket of FF, i decided that i would no longer buy layer feed. My girls get supplemental oyster shells, as well as all egg shells fed back to them. I noticed that as soon as they had green forage available, they stopped consuming the oyster shells. A further little bunny trail for the brain to work on: If vegetative calcium is better absorbed than the mineral additive, why not supplement with sprouts or dried plant material in the winter?

I agree. According to what I've read, my flock are consuming somewhere in the nature of up to 10% calcium in the forages they have available~depending on the time of year, legumes being higher in calcium than most of the other greens in my pasture, and layer ration only has around 3-4 %. I've never held with the myth that layer rations could not be fed to chicks and my last flock were started out on straight layer....that was 6 yrs ago and I still have two of those gals, who are currently laying right along with the younger flock. All my chicks have had layer rations by at least 2 wks of age and also are on free range by that age as well, so calcium is just not a big concern with me.....what they eat and what they can actually absorb and use are two very different things.

The amount of exercise a bird does dictates just how much calcium they store or excrete and a free range bird is getting way more exercise than a penned bird, so those higher calcium levels are more necessary to maintain good bone and muscle function. Calcium intake is not just being used for making eggs, though everyone seems to think that's why it's in the feed in the first place. I've heard of folks not feeding roosters layer ration because of fear of feeding a male bird too much calcium, but that bird needs calcium just like all the rest...he's doing the most exercise and he's supporting the heaviest build on his bones.

I feed layer mash because it's ground fresh at my local mill and the pelleted and crumbled grower is more expensive and less fresh as it's made elsewhere, so it's less of a bargain for me to buy those. In the winter I even cut my ration of layer feed with 50% whole grain..usually barley and BOSS, and I don't offer any calcium supplement at that time even though the calcium intake is considerably lower....when the snow is off they are still eating greens and they are getting less total exercise and laying less, so the calcium needs are naturally less as well. I do not offer oyster shell at any time and haven't done so for years now.

Points well made by all. And i think that the bottom line is that you need to know and observe your flock. They will tell you if their needs aren't being met, and they will also tell you if their needs ARE being met. Further, flock dynamics vary so much from yard to yard that there is no one-size-fits-all "right" way to feed poultry!

a lot of what is written in books and sites like this is false. When I get time and can formulate my thoughts I will delve into some of the well thought out reasonings you have brought up.
Please do. I'd love to hear what folks are doing, especially during the free range season and the "cooped up dead of winter" months. I've bought 2 siberian pea tree shrubs (produce 30% protein pods in a nitrogen fixing plant that will provide shade, shelter and feed) and plan to add some Bocking #4 Comfrey to my feed plan. IMO, commercial feeds provide the bare minimal sustenance to keep the birds going and laying. But, i don't think those feeds actually promote optimal health. Flying by the seat of my pants, and hoping that i'm making good decisions for my flock.

When my chickens were young we'd let them free range in the back yard during the day under the supervision of Daisy (our chicken-loving black lab) and then we would keep them in a container inside the house at night to protect them from cats. Once they were full grown they became full time free range and we only ever lost one and that was to illness. We live in a neighborhood in the city but there are several feral cats that hang around as well as a few hawks. We have a big oleander, a boat, and a porch that provide coverage for them and that seemed to work just fine. It also didn't hurt that one of our delaware hens was fearless and would chase cats out of the yard herself. We even had a silkie who did just fine. It would probably be best to get a larger breed (no bantams) and a rooster if you are allowed to because roosters can usually spot a predator before it becomes a real threat and warn the hens, as well at fighting the predator if he has to. Here is a pros and cons list:

smile.png
PROS:
Happy chickens!
Eggs are richer because of more variety in diet. I can't even eat store bought eggs now.
Chickens don't peck each other bald because they have room to escape each other.
They help control pests in your yard.
Chicken poop is good fertilizer so grass grows better.
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

hmm.png
CONS:
Higher risk predator attacks.
Sometimes they lay eggs in weird places where you can't find them.
If you have too many chickens for the space they will wipe out all the vegetation.
idunno.gif
barnie.gif

Also you should research what types of plants are toxic to poultry and make sure you don't have those in your yard.

Back
Top Bottom