Free Ranging Questions about ducks

Chickenhatcher89

Songster
11 Years
Mar 2, 2008
Lawrenceburg, TN
I am wanting to let my 3 Mallard ducks(1 female and 2 males) free range. I have roosters that free range 24/7 and they do great and I don't have any predators around. Was wondering if the ducks would do well free ranging also or if they will take off. I have a small stream in my field and a kiddie pool for them.
Any advice is appreciated.
big_smile.png

They should do alright. Since Mallards can fly, any dogs that may come snooping around probably won't be that much of a bother. Dogs where the only thing that hurt my ducks when I let them free range.

I can only tell you what my ducks do. In the summer they free range. They more or less stay in the yard. 99.5% of the time I know where there at. They stay in the pond at night. If the pond freezes they come up and stay in the barn.

As long as you have a secure place for them to go at night.

I had free range mallards several years ago and they took off... I could never catch them ... some are still around the neighbor hood with there babies ... everyone in our neighborhood has ponds and they have become everyones ducks and everyone looks out for them... ocasionally they come for a visit... the ducks I have now are not free range and I clip there wings...

Back
Top Bottom