Coyote attack on my ducks

Tarahanne

Chirping
Jan 25, 2021
A coyote came through three days ago while my ducks were free ranging in my fenced in yard. It killed four of my females. Our male was injured trying to protect them. He is healing well. My question is when should I get more females. We only have two left and I know that’s not enough for a Drake.

A coyote came through three days ago while my ducks were free ranging in my fenced in yard. It killed four of my females. Our male was injured trying to protect them. He is healing well. My question is when should I get more females. We only have two left and I know that’s not enough for a Drake.
You should likely get more females when the shock and stress of the attack has calmed down a bit for them.
But also I think you posted in the wrong forum. You probably want to get moved to a relevant one.

I am so sorry for your loss.
First make sure the ducks are safe from the coyote returning, because now he knows where a free meal is. I would wait a few weeks for them to all de-stress and then look for more ducks. The integration process , bringing in new ducks , is also a stressful thing for them all. In the meantime, Give your remaining ducks some extra vitamins, RoosterBooster Poultry Cell is one of the best.

@Tarahanne how is your drake doing ? i’m curious what were his injuries?
He sustained two ripping injuries under his wings when he went after the coyote. Luckily no puncture injuries. His wounds get cleaned and wrapped twice daily. He is doing well considering. Our two females that survived with no injuries are definitely traumatized. They are acting erratically and keep pecking each other. I have them inside in their indoor coop until we can trap the coyote.

Back
Top Bottom