Free Ranging

It depends. As soon as they are fully feathered, large enough not to be taken by our cats, and smart and fast enough to get away from hawks. It depends on the birds.

Ten months old is the youngest I've let my chickens outside of their pen. 7 hens in a 300 square foot pen.
My first Flock didn't free range till 13 months, but the 5 hens had a 500 square foot pen.
My newest flock of 5 pullets only have a 200 square foot pen. So I plan to let them free range a month after all are laying in the coop. So 5 to 6 months old.
I don't want to search for eggs in my acre of lawn plus woods. But I only let them free range an hour before sunset daily, so I probably shouldn't worry about egg laying in the yard.
STC_0012 (2019-08-06T15_29_23.980).jpg

My 14 weeks old pullets.
20200807_145208_resized.jpg

Still waiting for the first squat. GC

Yes, it's a good idea to get them to come when needed. I start giving treats at 10 weeks old, Scratch Grains. I keep a small coffee can of Scratch and by 13 weeks they crowd around me when I shake the can and say chook chook chook.
20200711_153957_resized.jpg

GC

My back yard is fenced in, so I've let mine out, under supervision, since they were about 8 weeks. I had one killed by a hawk a few weeks ago because my wife left them out when she was inside, so be cautious. I don't worry about ground predators because my dogs look after the chickens. Now, I only have them out when I'm out doing yard work.
If your yard isn't fenced in, try letting them out closer to dusk, so they will put themselves away after a short time period.

Yes, it's a good idea to get them to come when needed. I start giving treats at 10 weeks old, Scratch Grains. I keep a small coffee can of Scratch and by 13 weeks they crowd around me when I shake the can and say chook chook chook.View attachment 2283479
GC
Shaking a can works well. They catch on quick if you do it every time you feed them.

Depends on if you want free ranging to be a temporary treat or their permanent way of life. Also depends on if you have an established flock or not already used to free ranging. The more adults you have free ranging, the easier it is for new and young birds to pick up what they need.

My main flock is a 24-7 free range flock, except about half of my flock chooses to sleep outside and the other half sleeps in a coop. If chicks are hen hatched, they free range immediately. If I incubate and brood them, I’ve turned them out as early as a month but I think 2 months is best.

I never let them out until they reliably come when called.
What age does that reliability happen? I was sure mine were ready for free ranging and did come when called the first time to go back into the run. However, the second day when they came when called, they realized they were back in the run again and the fun was over so they ran right back out before I could close the door lol

Back
Top Bottom