ChickChic00

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
What is considered free range?
I have a penned in area that is 50x60 with a coop that has the door open at all times.
I also have a pen that is connected to the chicken pen, it is a 100x70.
I have only 14 Hens in the area.
Is that enough room to be considered free range?
Thanks very much!!

For me, free range means being able to freely go wherever they want, but there is a legal definition when you are labeling eggs for sale:
Eggs labeled free range must be produced by hens housed in a building, room, or area that allows for unlimited access to food, water, and continuous access to the outdoors during their laying cycle.”
”The USDA’s (and industry standard) definition for “Free Range” is that birds must have “outdoor access” or “access to the outdoors.” In some cases, this can mean access only through a “pop hole,” with no full-body access to the outdoors and no minimum space requirement.

HFAC’s Certified Humane® “Free Range” requirement is 2 sq. ft. per bird. The hens must be outdoors, weather permitting (in some areas of the country, seasonal), and when they are outdoors they must be outdoors for at least 6 hours per day. All other standards must be met.

HFAC’s Certified Humane® “Pasture Raised” requirement is 1000 birds per 2.5 acres (108 sq. ft. per bird) and the fields must be rotated. The hens must be outdoors year-round, with mobile or fixed housing where the hens can go inside at night to protect themselves from predators, or for up to two weeks out of the year, due only to very inclement weather. All additional standards must be met. “ from this website: https://certifiedhumane.org/free-ra...y-defined-by-hfac-for-certified-humane-label/

For me, free range means being able to freely go wherever they want, but there is a legal definition when you are labeling eggs for sale:
Eggs labeled free range must be produced by hens housed in a building, room, or area that allows for unlimited access to food, water, and continuous access to the outdoors during their laying cycle.”
”The USDA’s (and industry standard) definition for “Free Range” is that birds must have “outdoor access” or “access to the outdoors.” In some cases, this can mean access only through a “pop hole,” with no full-body access to the outdoors and no minimum space requirement.

HFAC’s Certified Humane® “Free Range” requirement is 2 sq. ft. per bird. The hens must be outdoors, weather permitting (in some areas of the country, seasonal), and when they are outdoors they must be outdoors for at least 6 hours per day. All other standards must be met.

HFAC’s Certified Humane® “Pasture Raised” requirement is 1000 birds per 2.5 acres (108 sq. ft. per bird) and the fields must be rotated. The hens must be outdoors year-round, with mobile or fixed housing where the hens can go inside at night to protect themselves from predators, or for up to two weeks out of the year, due only to very inclement weather. All additional standards must be met. “ from this website: https://certifiedhumane.org/free-ra...y-defined-by-hfac-for-certified-humane-label/
Thank you!!

The number of head that can be grazed per acre is a function of the pasture ecology, management and the vulgarities of weather. You must guard against over-grazing a plot of land to get the maximum sustainable yield. Giving them unlimited space is of no consequence if there is no forage.

Last edited:
Question…I have two Black Australorps and two White Leghorns. I have them in the coop at night and they have an enclosure around it that is 5’ x 30’ to roam in during the day. I live in a very wooded area in Florida and I am concerned about letting them out in the yard unprotected to free range. My yard is not fenced in where it faces the woods. We are working on that, but it is taking some time. Should I just keep them in the protective enclosure or let them out in the yard? Will they return to the coop? Ideas and suggestions are appreciated!

Should I just keep them in the protective enclosure or let them out in the yard?
That is up to your risk tolerance.
Will they return to the coop?
Most likely. When first let out mine didn't venture far. As time went by their range increased. They still all return, but each have their favorite areas to run off to.

Be careful with the woods around. I have 2 clear acres surrounded by 35 acres of woods. My entire flock free ranged ALL day with no issues for 6 months. They went to the neighbors yard, a nearby cornfield, in the woods, etc. No issue until 2 days after the rooster learned to crow. Since then we would have 1 or 2 picked off and not sure by what. They would disappear with no trace of feathers or anything. Finally 2 more just vanished in the same day. Since then I stopped free ranging them for about 4 months. I started letting them out once every few weeks near the end of the day so they wouldn't go far and would only be out for a couple hours before returning to the coop. We had a really nice day 2 weeks ago and I really wanted to let them out, so I did. I saw a fox on the opposite side of the house when I looked out the window. I went to check on the chickens and there were literally piles of feathers everywhere and no chickens in sight - mind you I had almost 30 of them. I spent 2 hours looking everywhere and found about half the flock scattered in very good hiding places. 1 of my 2 roosters was severely injured, I think the fox possibly broke his neck. I returned those I found to the coop and left the gate open and a few more returned that evening. In total, the fox got 3 (no bodies left, but I recognized what piles of feathers belong to which missing chickens), one died two days later I guess from shock because she seemed fine after the attack. I thought I would have to kill the rooster, his head would only drag on the ground. He could move everything except his neck. He has surprisingly recovered nicely and should be ready to go back with the flock, he now eats, drinks and stands with his head up, he just has a little crooked neck. Prior to this event I had a raccoon breach a whole in the coop run that I was unaware of and massacre 3 baby chickens. I put the 4th baby chicken in a cage in the garage and another raccoon got in the garage and tore the cage apart to get her.

I wrote this long story to say just be careful. You spend the time, effort and money to raise your chickens and get the m to the point where they are finally laying eggs only to have them stripped by a fox, raccoon, hawk, eagle, whatever. Until the last fox and raccoon attacks, I had not seen any predators for the over a years time I have had the chickens, but they eventually came. You may not see them, but once they discover the chickens they won't go away. The fox came back 2 days later and he did get to meet a couple of .22 longs. 2 raccoons met them too.

Be careful with the woods around. I have 2 clear acres surrounded by 35 acres of woods. My entire flock free ranged ALL day with no issues for 6 months. They went to the neighbors yard, a nearby cornfield, in the woods, etc. No issue until 2 days after the rooster learned to crow. Since then we would have 1 or 2 picked off and not sure by what. They would disappear with no trace of feathers or anything. Finally 2 more just vanished in the same day. Since then I stopped free ranging them for about 4 months. I started letting them out once every few weeks near the end of the day so they wouldn't go far and would only be out for a couple hours before returning to the coop. We had a really nice day 2 weeks ago and I really wanted to let them out, so I did. I saw a fox on the opposite side of the house when I looked out the window. I went to check on the chickens and there were literally piles of feathers everywhere and no chickens in sight - mind you I had almost 30 of them. I spent 2 hours looking everywhere and found about half the flock scattered in very good hiding places. 1 of my 2 roosters was severely injured, I think the fox possibly broke his neck. I returned those I found to the coop and left the gate open and a few more returned that evening. In total, the fox got 3 (no bodies left, but I recognized what piles of feathers belong to which missing chickens), one died two days later I guess from shock because she seemed fine after the attack. I thought I would have to kill the rooster, his head would only drag on the ground. He could move everything except his neck. He has surprisingly recovered nicely and should be ready to go back with the flock, he now eats, drinks and stands with his head up, he just has a little crooked neck. Prior to this event I had a raccoon breach a whole in the coop run that I was unaware of and massacre 3 baby chickens. I put the 4th baby chicken in a cage in the garage and another raccoon got in the garage and tore the cage apart to get her.

I wrote this long story to say just be careful. You spend the time, effort and money to raise your chickens and get the m to the point where they are finally laying eggs only to have them stripped by a fox, raccoon, hawk, eagle, whatever. Until the last fox and raccoon attacks, I had not seen any predators for the over a years time I have had the chickens, but they eventually came. You may not see them, but once they discover the chickens they won't go away. The fox came back 2 days later and he did get to meet a couple of .22 longs. 2 raccoons met them too.
Oh my goodness! I appreciate the heads up! I think I will just keep them in the run.

:goodpost:I had one of my ladies snatched up by a coyote in the middle of the day right in front of me and my husband! It came back the next morning and I shot it! My ladies no longer free range, they have a large run and an extra large "chicken yard" all fully fenced. Only thing you need to remember is EVERYTHING WANTS TO EAT CHICKENS.

Back
Top Bottom